banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are pinch harmonics? and what pick ups does it well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are pinch harmonics? and what pick ups does it well?

Hi guys what exactly are pinch harmonics? im not too sure. And then what pickups seems to have that well covered?
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: What are pinch harmonics? and what pick ups does it well?

The harmonics comes from your guitar.....your pickup can only create what comes from the guitar.

Comment

So what is harmonics?????

Comment

Well like the one you take at the 12th fret, just slightly holding a finger on the string and pluck or strum it....vupti one harmonic of the basic note.

Comment

A pinch harmonic can be created by choking up on the pick so your thumb contacts the string right after the pick. The are sweet spots at different locations on the strings between the bridge and the neck the will ring louder and clearer than others, just listen to Zack Wylde he plays at least one a measure.

Comment

Yeah and Van Halen in plenty

Comment

Well i just tried it with lotsa distoretion and i sue a hot rail in the bridge of my strat. Umm is it suppossed to kinda fedback and ring back even when the string really isnt moving? kinda like giving it extra sustain? cuz thats whats ive been doing not sur eif im doing it right.

Comment

Here's a song of mine I never finished....lol. It's loaded with pinch harmonics all over the place. You'll get the idea of what they sound like.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Vi...hp?eltid=17120
                Last edited by JOLLY; 04-21-2004, 03:24 PM.

Comment

You have to find them - as has been said, you kind of dig your thumb into the string a little as you pick. You have to pick in particular places too - if you have a strat, try just to the bridge side of the polepieces on the neck pickup, I find that one reasonably easy to find.

There are several positions where you can pick and get a pinched harmonic (each sounding different), and these positions do vary slightly on different strings (I find they tend to move in the bridge direction a little as you move from the lower strings to the higher strings).

I have to admit I'm no expert on them (particularly the screaming metal-type pinched harmonics some players seem to get out of the wound strings - wish I could do them better). I find it harder to get a decent sound if I'm playing with a scooped-mid sound. Dialling in the mids seems to help me voice them a bit better. I also find it easier when going throught the distortion channel than the clean channel.

EDIT: learn the intro to 'Revolution is my name' by Pantera - I (try to!) use that one to practice pinch harmonics, as you have to play them on different strings and vary position.
                  Last edited by southadc; 04-21-2004, 03:57 PM.

Comment

pinch harmonics are more of a technique you do and how you do it, if you can do the technique the right way, you should be able to do it with gain or no gain and with any guitar.

Duke
                    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

OK i kidna ahve an idea it sounds like kinda vibrato sustaining note. UMM mine sounds nothing like that!!! GUys i need help how do you play a pinch harmonic properly??!?!? I always wanted to know who to do that!!!!! plz JOLLY HELP ME or anyone!

Comment

Setting up your guitar right is also very important.
                        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

great place to get a good jump on them. i learned it here. it comes with practice alot. once u do it more, it becomes easier and more natural. at first it was hard for me to repositiion my thumb all the time, but now its jsuta matter of sliding a bit.
                          [SIZE=1]Guitars:
                          Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
                          Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
                          Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
                          Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
                          Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

It helps to set your Bridge pickup high, right under the strings. A JB and a Pearly Gates are my favorites for Pinch Harmonics, and also the 59B
                            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Hmm just to see if im on the right track is it basically hitting the string with the tip of the pick and the thumb at the same time? basically the string is inbetween the pick and your thumb so your kind of pinching the string?????? am i even close to the right technique? umm also where on the fret board can i nial these pinch harmonics down?

Comment

Working...
                              X