• Show
Clear All

• Pickups for an LP

What do you reccomend for a pickup replacement for an Agile LP

Re: Pickups for an LP

Originally posted by Ddune9751
    What do you reccomend for a pickup replacement for an Agile LP

Welcome Ddune!!

What type of tone do you wish to achieve? What kinda music do you like to play? This will help us.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Thanks for the reply darrin. i play mostly rock no jazz no metal. AC DC med to hard rock

Comment

I am also looking for suggestions for an SG

Comment

i play mostly rock no jazz no metal. AC DC med to hard rock
          Seth Lover bridge. PAF style, not too bright, good mids, articulate, pure.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Thanks for the reply darrin. i play mostly rock no jazz no metal. AC DC med to hard rock
            Well Ddune, My favorite bucker is the Custom 5, very versatile, around 13K, so not too hot. It has a full bottom end, nice low mids(some may say scooped) and a smooth high end. That being said, I also like the Custom Custom (more mid prominent) & the Distortion (hot, but not over the top & cleans up well despite it's name). These are only 3 of the many outstanding pups Seymour makes, check out some of the sound-bites on the SD website & good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

P.S. I'll try to answer any specifics if I can.

Comment

i play mostly rock no jazz no metal.
              A set of 59's

Comment

yeah, 59/59 or Seth/59......i dont think you can go wrong with those........but i guess the amp depends on that, what amp you gonna be playin these bad boys through?
                http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                >cord<
                1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

i like my set of 59's and i think they will acheive the tone you are looking for depending on the amp. If you have something like a marshall or mesa type amp you'll be set. if not you might want to try something like the custom 5 to push your amp harder.
                  Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Hey Ddune9751, welcome to the forum.

SG maniac here. Have tried almost everything.

You really can't go wrong with a Jazz neck and JB bridge. Very balanced when switching pickups and clear, singing, etc. That is Seymour's favorite combo and it is time tested and awesome.

The JB will tame the shrillness that can be a problem in the SG's bridge slot with a nice vocal tone with upper mid focus. If you want a bit more "roundness" at the bridge, a Custom Custom could fit the bill (just got one to try out, haven't installed it yet - will report back). The Custom Custom is voiced more towards the lower mids than the upper mids in the JB with less highs.

I hated the C5 in my SG's (waaay too scooped and small sounding a bridge pickup for my taste). But many people on here love em. It depends if you are a "mids" guy or not. I am.

If you want a bit more "push" at the neck you can go '59 or Pearly Gates. But be careful as they can be too bassy at the same amp settings that your bridge pickup sounds warm at. The Pearly Gates has more mids and less highs than the '59. The Jazz is brighter and clearer than both of them with less bass.

Hope this helps! Peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                    buggjuice.net
                    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ditto on the Seth, 59, and Pearly. They are all 3 Fantastic.
                      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I currently have a peavey 40 super FX. I am saving up to get a JCM 2000 tsl 601 or 602.

I have an SG Special and I am receiving today an Agile 2800 dlx (LP copy)

The sg could use some more highs than the 490t delivers and the 490r is a little muddy.

The agile is usually sound as far as the construction goes but from what i here they need to be setup and the electronics especially pickups need to be upgraded

Comment

What type of guitar do you have your set of 59's in? Do you lose any versatility by having the same pickup in the bridge & neck? Do you have a volume & tone control for both pickups and if you do, how do you set the controls for a mix you like?

Originally posted by mrfjones
                          i like my set of 59's and i think they will acheive the tone you are looking for depending on the amp. If you have something like a marshall or mesa type amp you'll be set. if not you might want to try something like the custom 5 to push your amp harder.
                          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
                            A set of 59's
                            For the sound that you described, I like this combo also.
                            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Pearly gates neck, custom custom bridge - It rocks, is highly veratile, and I haven't had any problems with bass/trebble balance on the amp when switching pups. I always bass down or treble up (usually) a touch on the paul anyway!
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X