APH-1 Alnico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APH-1 Alnico

What's the story on this pickup. Is there a style of guitar that it sounds good in, like a fender maybe? Is there a guitar it doesn't sound good in, like a les paul style with a chambered body (hamer, gmp)? By sounds good I mean warm and not too brite. Why would anyone put two in a less paul style guitar with a chambered body? Maybe a 59' neck and Custom Custom bridge would be warmer for a chambered body? Thanks
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Re: APH-1 Alnico

The Alnico II Humbucker would do great in a Les Paul-type guitar. The Custom Custom would have more output, but the same basic tonality, ie. warmer, rounder highs and softer lows. So, the difference would be mostly a matter of personal taste. They are both really excellant pickups. My personal inclination would be to try the APH first, then swap for the Custom Custom with the 21-day guarantee if you felt like you need to. The reason I say that is because the APH ought to match very, very well with a Les Paul, whereas I think the Custom Custom would be a better choice for a Strat, which has a longer scale, different woods, and a brighter tone.
    "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
    R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
    http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just scored a GMP Pawnshop Deluxe used for a great price. It looks like a Les Paul but it has a Chambered body and 25.5 scale. It's mahogany with a maple cap. But it sounds so bright with the APH Alnicos in the bridge & neck. I think it's because of the chamered body and the strat scale not working well with the APH Alnicos. And I hope a custom custom in the neck and a 59b will warm it up. I'm not sure why the original owner put in the APH Alnico (bridge & neck), they usually come with the custom custom and the 59. Should I try the Custom Custom and 59b to warm it up?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

i assume that you mean putting the cc in the bridge and 59 in the neck, right?

the cc is a good choice for a bright guitar, big mids. the aph's sound nice in a strat style guitar but it depends on what amps you are using as well.
        what do you use?

Comment

Yes, CC in bridge and 59 in the neck. Right now I'm using a Vox Valvetronix AD60 1x12 modeling amp. It's an OK amp. A big improvement on my DOD "Ice It" amp that I used with a Digitech RP-50 digital effect processor. But the Valvetronix does have a nice speaker rattle. I'm thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 30. But I'm curious if it will sound good at bedroom levels. Thanks

Originally posted by jeremy
          i assume that you mean putting the cc in the bridge and 59 in the neck, right?

the cc is a good choice for a bright guitar, big mids. the aph's sound nice in a strat style guitar but it depends on what amps you are using as well.
          what do you use?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Working...
          X