Sheild/Grounding pickups???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheild/Grounding pickups???

I recently painted the cavity of my LP with StewMac sheild paint. Unfortunately I am still getting some hum. My pups are 59n single wire and 59B 4 wire. Would the neck pups braided wire touching the paint cause a problem?

Re: Sheild/Grounding pickups???

Originally posted by Sweeps
    I recently painted the cavity of my LP with StewMac sheild paint. Unfortunately I am still getting some hum. My pups are 59n single wire and 59B 4 wire. Would the neck pups braided wire touching the paint cause a problem?
    well, no matter what, there will be an amount of hum which changed from amp to amp. the braided wire touching the paint shouldnt cause a problem. what kinda hum are you tlakign about? does it hum all the time? are you near a tv, computer monitor ,etc.?

Comment

Re: Sheild/Grounding pickups???

Sweeps:

Did you also shield the pickguard?

For shielding to be effective you ideally want a continuous shield that conducts noise to ground. You can also try shielding the pickguard and try having some of the paint from the cavity, or some conductive tape come over on top of the body to come in contact with the pickguard shield as you can see in the picture of my tele below. If the pickguard shield comes in contact with the pot casings then your shielding network will be grounded. Otherwise you can run a wire from the shielding to ground.

Thanks!

Andy

http://www.guitar-mod.com

Comment

Working...
      X