Godin SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godin SD

Hello All. I'm new to this forum and have a question. I'm looking to purchase a Godin SD but I think I may just upgrade the pickups on it. Any suggestions?

Re: Godin SD

Sorry, your post got lost. Welcome to the board. I hate to admit this, but I'm not familiar with the SD model. What pups come in it? I thought primarily used Duncans.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

nova, welcome

scott- the higher end godins use duncans or duncan designed, the lower end (performance series, such as radiator, sd, sdxt, a few others) use the godin pickups

back to nova now

the pickups would depend on which one you get. i have the godin sdxt. i chose the sdxt over the sd because of the Humbucker-Single-Humbucker configuration, though the sd's single-single-humbucker is plenty good.

i found my sdxt to be very bright, which didnt suit my tastes. having an all maple guitar, a bright sound wouldnt be terribly unusual, especially with the "not so great" godin pickups. i believe you can get the godins with a rosewood fretboard, that may mellow them out.

now, for pup's. i chose a 59-classicstack-Jb combination to give me a range of tonal options taht all suit my basic blues/classicrock need. these pickups are all noise cancelling (even the single, classicstack) so i effectivly have 3 humbuckers in my guitar, though it doesnt sound like this. i love my 59, its a great rythm pickup. the jb is perfect for lead tones, and the classic stack does blues and some vintage sounds better than i could want. i also can do funk, and other stuff i fool around with. i would have chosen the ssl-1 for the middle, but i wanted a full hum-cancel guitar, so i chose the hum-cancel classicstack, its bascially a stacked ssl-1, it sounds very similar to the ssl-1.

for your guitar you have to chose not only what sounds right to your ear, but what music styles you want to play, and if you want the guitar to be fully hum cancel.

there are a few great hum-cancel singles out there, the lil 59, lil Jb, classicstack, cool/hot rails, and many others. you could use 2 of these with the humbucker to get a fully hum-cancel guitar.

for the humbucker (bridge pickup) - id reccomend either a JB or a C5. these two are the most popular bridge humbucking pickup, i really like the JB, im sure someone else will input on this, but u can listen to the sound clips. if you have metal or other styles in mind, you may want something else.

for the two single coils, the ssl-1 is the best for vintage sound. the classic stack works well for hum-cancel. the apsh whatever its called ive heard good thiings about. you have to decide what sounds you want, and if hum-cancel or not

ill respond when i see youve posted, or feel free to shoot me a pm. welcome, and godins are great.
      Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
      Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
      Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
      Crate VC-3112
      Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
      Fender Bassman 60

Comment

o yea, suggestions:

ssl-1's for the neck and middle
        or
        lil59 for the neck, someone else reccomend a middle, i like the classicstack (cant go wrong with it), there may be other pups out there that are humcancel that are better, ijust havent tried any.
        Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
        Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
        Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
        Crate VC-3112
        Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
        Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Nova,

I have a SD and put a Invader in the bridge. I don't know much about pickups or tone so I went with what seemed to be the narliest looking pickup I could buy.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find the advice your looking for. There are so many pickup experts here. Guys like Jolly, Lew, Gearjoneser, Zerb, RID and Robert S. just to name a few.

Jon
          Tradition S-20, Tradition G-10, Jackson DKMG, Ibanez SRX 505 Bass, Laney MXD 120H head, Peavey 4x12 cab, Fender 4x12 cab, Boss GS-10, M-Audio Black Box, Boss Metal Zone, Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss CH-1, MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Zakk Wylde, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Double Shot Distortion, ProCo Rat, Other Boss stuff.

SD pickups tried or still in use: JB, Zebra C5, Zebra Jazz, JB Jr., Distortion, Lil '59, Invader, Live Wire Metal, and Custom.

Comment

Working...
          X