Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat metal tone

hello,

I'm a diehard Strat lover but I also play heavy metal (Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, NWOBHM, etc.) The Strat just has "that sound" that I love.

I just bought a Carvin Bolt Strat copy (AWESOME guitar for the $$$!!!) but the stock single coils are too weak and thin for metal. the guitar has a maple neck, alder body, ebony fingerboard, Sperzel locking tuners, and a Wilky tremolo (blocked for diving only).

Could I get some recommendations for a new set of pups (Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio)?

thanks bros

Re: Strat metal tone

Originally posted by fred
    hello,

I'm a diehard Strat lover but I also play heavy metal (Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, NWOBHM, etc.) The Strat just has "that sound" that I love.

I just bought a Carvin Bolt Strat copy (AWESOME guitar for the $$$!!!) but the stock single coils are too weak and thin for metal. the guitar has a maple neck, alder body, ebony fingerboard, Sperzel locking tuners, and a Wilky tremolo (blocked for diving only).

Could I get some recommendations for a new set of pups (Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio)?

thanks bros
    What's the current set-up, is it 3 single coils? If so, are you prepared to mod the guitar, or are you looking to retrofit the new pickups without modifying the guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
      What's the current set-up, is it 3 single coils? If so, are you prepared to mod the guitar, or are you looking to retrofit the new pickups without modifying the guitar?
      3 single-coils

what mods would be needed?

thanks

Comment

Well, for a Strat copy, if you were to put a full-size humbucker in at the bridge (say), then at the least you would need to enlarge the hole in the pickguard for the pickup,or buy a new pickguard. If you pop the pickguard off next time you have the strings are off, you can take a look at how the guitar's routed. The bridge may be routed to take a humbucker, although only a single coil is fitted. that being the case, then having a humbucker fitted isn't too difficult. If, however, it's only routed to take a single coil, then you would have to have the body routed to take a full-size humbucker.

I'd be tempted to install some single coil sized humbuckers, but I haven't really tried enough of them to advise which. I've got a Squire strat with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails at the bridge, and that sounds pretty good (iit could probably be improved by modifying the circuit so that a tone pot acted on it though)

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
          Well, for a Strat copy, if you were to put a full-size humbucker in at the bridge (say), then at the least you would need to enlarge the hole in the pickguard for the pickup,or buy a new pickguard. If you pop the pickguard off next time you have the strings are off, you can take a look at how the guitar's routed. The bridge may be routed to take a humbucker, although only a single coil is fitted. that being the case, then having a humbucker fitted isn't too difficult. If, however, it's only routed to take a single coil, then you would have to have the body routed to take a full-size humbucker.

I'd be tempted to install some single coil sized humbuckers, but I haven't really tried enough of them to advise which. I've got a Squire strat with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails at the bridge, and that sounds pretty good (iit could probably be improved by modifying the circuit so that a tone pot acted on it though)
          oh no no I should have specified in my original post, I want to keep the 3 single coil setup. I don't like full-size humbuckers.

Comment

Hot rails, man! That'll metal ya right up! won't have to modify your guitar's routing either.

...I'm gonna vote again for the hot rails because they just kick that much ass!

Comment

Hot Rails. No question. Same thing that most everyone else will probably say.

Comment

Metal = Hot Rails
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The Hot Rails bridge has a ton of output, and should do well. Some people also like them for the smooth high output that the neck and mid positions offer. If you want a more clear tone from the neck and mid, you could try the Cool Rails, or a DiMarzio Fast Track.
                  "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                  R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                  http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Working...
                  X