banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you get a kill switch position on a 5 way switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you get a kill switch position on a 5 way switch?

I'm thinking about buying a guitar that has a full size JB in the bridge & classic stack singles in the neck & middle, wired to a 5 way blade switch with just a volume control. (The Jake E. Lee set up)

I'm used to 2 humbucker guitars with a master volume for each pickup & a 3 way toggle. I like to turn the neck humbucker off & use the toggle as a kill switch.

Is there a way to re-wire the 5 way switch so that position 2 (assuming that the JB in the bridge is position 1) is a mute/kill switch position and the rest of the typical positions function normally?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Re: Can you get a kill switch position on a 5 way switch?

Hey Mushcup; Welcome to the forum. The thing is, on a 5-way switch, positions #2 and #4 are "virtual" positions. They simply connect whatever is happening at positions #1 and #3. You can't really do something "different" at that position, without adding another switch, or changing to a multi-function switch like a "superswitch".

Comment

Hmmmmm........

OK could this then be accomplished with a superswitch?

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can. I'll see what I can come up with, and post it later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushcup
          Hmmmmm........

OK could this then be accomplished with a superswitch?
          Without a problem. You can literally wire up nearly any combination you want with a 4p5t superswitch. Mine does bridge series, bridge split, mid, neck parrallel, neck series.
          Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
          Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
          Carl Martin Rock Drive
          ISP Decimator
          BOSS DD-3
          Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Working...
          X