Pickup Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Covers

I put in Duncans on my Les Paul, and I just got the covers to put on them. I need to know what else I should be doing to secure them on besides just sliding them over the pups. Thanks.

you should probably wax pot them
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

How do I go about doing that?

Comment

The cover should be soldered on. If not you may get some microphonics happening. Just put one spot of solder on the under side of each edge.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

If only I could find my solder!!!

Comment

Definetely will be needing to solder that on. No excuse for no solder!

Comment

Before you start, make sure the covers line up perfectly with the pole pieces on the Duncans. Gibson and Duncans vary a little.

1. Squeeze the covers on as tight as possible. It's best if you put some flux on the areas you plan to solder, so the solder sticks better. Once the covers are soldered firmly onto the pickups....

Step 2. Heat up a pan with Parafin Cooking Wax, which you can find at the grocery store in the baking section. I put a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the pan to keep the pickups from melting or pitting. Submerge the pickups, while holding the lead.
              When the tiny air bubbles stop coming up, throw the pickup on a paper plate and into the refrigerator. If a little wax drains out, that's OK. Remove them from the fridge and wipe all the excess wax off the pickup.

Install into your guitar, and adjust the height.
              If you don't pot the pickups, you'll likely have a microphonic problem where the guitar squeals on highgain settings.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Great reply, Gearjoneser. If it aint in the Vault already, it oughta be !!!!! Hey Scott..........................!!!!!
                Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                  Great reply, Gearjoneser. If it aint in the Vault already, it oughta be !!!!! Hey Scott..........................!!!!!
                  I'm all over it...Bottom of my tutorial page.

John
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hello,
                    Where did you find the covers? I have been looking and no one seems to have them anymore....

Stew Mac has these:

Do you know if either of these polepiece spreads would work with a Duncan Custom?

Thanks
                    SBS

Comment

Working...
                    X