Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dial-a-tap with Pearly Gates?

Hey Artie - that's a really cool idea

A linear taper pot would work best there, and there's no reason you couldn't cut the carbon track inside the pot in the middle so that it would be "no load" at 5 on the dial instead of at one end or the other. I wonder if there's a way to get some kind of center detent? Maybe you could use a "blender pot" to get to the same place - they sometimes have a center detent.

However, I tried a coil split by shorting the series connection (red/white) to the hot lead (black) and found that part of the first coil was still in the circuit. At least tapping it generated some sound although not anywhere near as much as the coil that was supposed to be on.

chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Re: Dial-a-tap with Pearly Gates?

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
      Hey Artie - that's a really cool idea

A linear taper pot would work best there, and there's no reason you couldn't cut the carbon track inside the pot in the middle so that it would be "no load" at 5 on the dial instead of at one end or the other. I wonder if there's a way to get some kind of center detent?
      chip
      Hey, thats not a bad idea. If you cut the carbon track very carefully, and smoothly, you'ld end up with a "natural" detent, where the wiper "fell" into the groove. Hmmm . . .

Comment

Working...
      X