Dial-a-tap with Pearly Gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial-a-tap with Pearly Gates?

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone used a dial-a-tap mod in conjunction with a pearly gates bridge. If so, how useful do you find it?

Re: Dial-a-tap with Pearly Gates?

DIAL-A-TAP is the BEST... I highly recommend it!
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by GrooveHT
      Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone used a dial-a-tap mod in conjunction with a pearly gates bridge. If so, how useful do you find it?
      If your talking about the spin-a-split mod in SD's technical tips, I've done this with my big apple strat. As of now, I have it loaded with the following, PG bridge, fat 50 middle, and 59 neck. Both the PG and 59 have been wire to have spin-a-split so I don't have a tone control for either but since I never used them as tone controls I don't miss not having them. Also I have the switch wired like so:
      1. bridge
      2. bridge/middle
      3. middle
      4. neck/middle
      5. neck
      Extremely versatile especially in positions 2 and 4. The PG is a PG not a PG+. I saw so many posts here about how much better the PG was I bought one. To be honest I don't see alot of difference when played clean, but with some gain the PG really outshines the PG+. My 2 cents.
      Last edited by Stratsky; 04-24-2004, 06:44 AM.

Comment

what do u mean by dial-a-tap?

is it something like a PRS rotary switch? I'm trying to do that.

Comment

One important thing is to use a 500k or 1meg pot so you don't load down the coil too much...
          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

jazzy - by dial-a-tap, I mean the spin-a-split mod on the SD Tech Tips page...basically, you use a pot to incrimentally split a humbucker. So you can have one coil at 100% and one variable, from 0%-100%. It allows you a huge amount of variation in your tones, and its been recommended to me by several people.

BTR - thanks, my next question was going to be what value pot to use! Do you prefer the 500k or the 1 meg?

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
              One important thing is to use a 500k or 1meg pot so you don't load down the coil too much...
              A "no load" pot is also a really good idea so that you don't get any bleed through when you want the full humbucker.

Chip
              Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
              Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
              Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
              SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
              SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
              "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyjoepass
                what do u mean by dial-a-tap?

is it something like a PRS rotary switch? I'm trying to do that.
                A rotary switch is not the same, that's representative of a switching system (which it is ). If you want a PRS rotary switch, then you'll have to get one from a PRS dealer, BTW ... their current system uses a small PCB in conjunction with it, unlike the old rotary switch, (factory moddified PSA-223, Beyschlab/Centralab) in which the wiring was done on the switch itself.
                The varisplit, varitap, dial-a-tap,spin-a-split, or whatever you want to call it is generally very effective, and offers a nice range of tonal shadings; especially clean. I personally do not hold with the single coil idea (hum), but others do, and it really shines clean. I believe Chip had stated before that a 100k pot often works best, as far as the fade in fade out ,... the no load definitely becomes important there.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yeah spin a split is Great!........If you want a no load you can also use a mini switch and preset the effect and toggle between full humbucker and preset split. That is cut the pot out of the circuit and leave it in full humbucker mode.

Comment

Hi Kent -

the 100k pot worked best for a tapped single coil Quarter Pound pickup. That gave me the most useful range of control with the pot.

Haven't tried a "spin-a-split" yet, so I don't know what resistance would work best in that application. It may even depend on the output of the humbucker.

Chip
                    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
                      A "no load" pot is also a really good idea so that you don't get any bleed through when you want the full humbucker.

Chip
                      I'm using 500 K pots, but I like the idea of no load pots. I believe I will try this.

Comment

I actually posted a question about this last week and had only one reply! It's pretty cool that it has been addressed already. I find that my J-Bass is a lot more versatile b/c I can 'blend' the pickups. It really makes a huge difference in tone, to my ears. I'm gonna try this with my Strat soon...PGn and FSb.

Farkus
                        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

dial-a-tap sounds like a number you would call to tap pickups....
                          Down at the edge, close by a river.
                          Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                          Close to the end, down by the corner.
                          Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
                            Hi Kent -

the 100k pot worked best for a tapped single coil Quarter Pound pickup. That gave me the most useful range of control with the pot.

Haven't tried a "spin-a-split" yet, so I don't know what resistance would work best in that application. It may even depend on the output of the humbucker.

Chip
                            The one I did years ago on a friends (first time I ever did it circa 15 years or so) ... was on a PAF style HB in the bridge position of a H/S/S strat style guitar ... I used the 250k-A pot thats was in there, worked just fine. For a hotter pup though, and higher DCR/Z a 500k might do better. Never got around to playing with the tapers, or altering them on a customized basis though.
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Hey Kent; How well do you think something like this might work?
                              Its something I've wondered about.
                              Dial slowly from one coil, through full humbucker, to the other coil.

Comment

Working...
                              X