Pickup Advice - LP Burstbucker replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Advice - LP Burstbucker replacements

I know its been asked 1000 times...Pickups for a Les Paul - But hear me out as my application is likely different....

I got a 2004 LP with Burstbuckers and I dont like them one bit...they are crunchy, the output is fine, but the highs just sound thin to me and no matter how I dial the amp they just dont respond like I want them too...I like singing highs on my leads and from what I understand that is from mids. I certainly dial in ALOT of mids in my setup....

AMP: 5150II....Low 6, Mid 6, Highs 4.5.....So I like mids in my tone but the burstbuckers do not respond well for me...

Now, part II is that I have other Duncan setups and I would prefer not to replicate them as I am trying to create different tones with different guitars...

EPI LP with a Custom 5 in the bridge
    Charvel with JB/Jazz combo

So, I would prefer not to have any of those pickups, These axes sounds terrific and I want to have their place in my arsenal...

Now...the important part desired tone....Classic Rock....I want to replicate stuff like Bad Company, Blackfoot, Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ Top....Crunchy Bottom, Singing highs..Overdriven but not necessarily heavily distorted....

So far I have been considering these:
    Neck - Alnico Pro II, 59
    Bridge - Pearly Gates, Alnico Pro II

Any advice on these or something I may be overlooknig is appreciated...

Re: Pickup Advice - LP Burstbucker replacements

My favorite hummer combo is an A2Pn and a CCbridge.

Do you like Slash's tone? He uses a set of a2p.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

APH II sounds exactly like what you're describing. The CC would be great in the bridge as well, but I love my APH II set.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

You're on the right track. Go for the APH. The Pearly Gates is also excellant, but more edgy, and I think a bit more compressed. Of course, the Antiquity is about as good as it gets.
        "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
        R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
        http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
          Now...the important part desired tone....Classic Rock....I want to replicate stuff like Bad Company, Blackfoot, Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ Top....Crunchy Bottom, Singing highs..Overdriven but not necessarily heavily distorted....

So far I have been considering these:
          Neck - Alnico Pro II, 59
          Bridge - Pearly Gates, Alnico Pro II

Any advice on these or something I may be overlooknig is appreciated...
          If you want to stick with Seymour's tasty recipes, I'd go with Ants. If you want try something a little different, I'd recommend the Fillmores that Jim Wagner builds. Do a search on the Les Paul Forum, you'll find a lot of info about these unique pups. They do what you are describing very well.

Comment

Alnico Pro II or a CC in the bridge IMO, neck A2P.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Antiqities all the way. I was blown away the first time I installed an Anty set in a LP and I am still amazed at the complexity of the tone and warmth everytime I plug that guitar in.
              www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
              www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I'd go with a Pearly Gates in the bridge and either a '59 or Alnico II Pro in the neck. The Custom Custom has more output and midrange, but you may not like the lack of bass.

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

What did you not like about the Burstbuckers? I have had 3 sets of the BB Pros, the pickup that comes in the LP STD, and each was tonally a bit different. I have also found that if they do not work for you in one LP put them in another.

I had one set that I put in an LP that weighed over 12 lbs and they were almost mellow, but very full sounding in bass frequencies. That same set went into another guitar, EPI ELITE LP again and they came across as something in between a Antiquity and a 59. Now they are in a very light LP and they can get downright rude and nasty, very crunchy, but they can do clean with the volume control rolled back. I know the weight is not the real factor, but the density of the wood seems to ba a big factor.

gt5litre

Comment

Weight is a factor BECAUSE density is a factor

Two guitars that are the same shape, with the same routes, that weigh different amounts, aren't gonna have the same density. The lighter one will be less-dense.

-X
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

How about a pair of Seths? Fantastic classic tone all the way. I'm a big fan of the 59 neck (for a little more brightness in a LP) and the Alnico II in the bridge.
                      'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by gt5litre
                        What did you not like about the Burstbuckers? I have had 3 sets of the BB Pros, the pickup that comes in the LP STD, and each was tonally a bit different. I have also found that if they do not work for you in one LP put them in another.

I had one set that I put in an LP that weighed over 12 lbs and they were almost mellow, but very full sounding in bass frequencies. That same set went into another guitar, EPI ELITE LP again and they came across as something in between a Antiquity and a 59. Now they are in a very light LP and they can get downright rude and nasty, very crunchy, but they can do clean with the volume control rolled back. I know the weight is not the real factor, but the density of the wood seems to ba a big factor.

gt5litre

They are crunchy rhythm wise....but unacceptably thin for lead work.....Around the second string - they just thin out.....Its possible to EQ it out of there I suppose, but I am not having any luck with that....My leads wont sing and full chords are harsh.....Bottom end is GREAT....My PRS, Charvel, Jackson and even my EPI LP do not suffer from such a problem

So, Duncans rule my other axes - I guess I need to put a set in this one...Oh, the cleans are great, the neck PUP is great....the overdriven lead work and highs are not....

Comment

If density is a facter....would that mean you would be best to match a more dense or thicker pickup with a les dense and lighter guitar??

Does that also mean that a lighter guitar, hence a lighter LP will have less or more mids? Maybe it still is variable?

Comment

Working...
                          X