Wiring to have 2 volumes per pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring to have 2 volumes per pickup

With my band i need 3 sounds... Clean, overdriven rhythm (reasonably high gain), and lead. I usually have the EQ in the loop to boost my rhythm to lead, and if theres a footswitch for the amp im using i use that to change from rhythm to the clean channel. HOWEVER! if theres no footswitch i rely on turning my guitar volume down to get cleans. My band requires quick changes often and its getting annoying not changing fast enough or not getting the right amount of volume to have clean.

My guitar (HH pickup configuration) has a 3-way pickup selecter with one volume control and one tone. The tone has a push/pull pot for coil splitting. I would like to take out the tone control and replace it with another volume, and rewire the guitar so it has separate volumes for each humbucker. I want to be able to flick my pickup selecter to switch between a clean and rhythm. If possible i would like to still be able to coil split.

I know this wont give the best cleans in the world but there are situations where i have to compromise!

Thanks

Re: Wiring to have 2 volumes per pickup

Hi Mr. Wolf; unless I'm misunderstanding your question, you just need this diagram, and just leave out the tone control:

2 humbucker, 2 volume, with 3-way - split

Put the switch on whichever pickup you want to split, or make both volumes push/pull, and split them both.

Comment

It's easy enough to do. Your guitar is most likely wired pickups - switch - pots - jack. Remove the tone pots cap and ground the #1 terminal simular to the way the #1 terminal on the volume pot is wired. Wire the pickup hot leads to the individual pots #3 terminals (outer, non-grounded terminals). Then wire the center terminals of the volume pots to the inputs of the switch and wire the common to the output jack.

You could get a dual concentric pot and wire that as a dual volume pot and keep the master tone pot and split wiring intact.

I'm sure Artie will make up something pretty to look at shortly......
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Damn he's quick!
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
          Damn he's quick!
          LOL
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks Robert and Artietoo! I have more of an idea of what's going on. Im no wiring expert at all, a friend is going to do the soldering since i cant do it to save my life! I might use this rewiring as an excuse to buy new pickups hmmm

Comment

There was a thread about this a few days ago...search for the thread titled "dual concentric pots." There are some minor issues you need to be aware of when wiring a guitar for two volume controls.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                There was a thread about this a few days ago...search for the thread titled "dual concentric pots." There are some minor issues you need to be aware of when wiring a guitar for two volume controls.

Ryan
                ok cheers for pointing me to that thread. I saw that there were the problems with the dual concentric pots and didnt fully understand how the wiring had to be done to sort it (too tired!). Would those problems also occur if using 2 separate volume controls? Also the dual concentric pots idea sounds good aswell, are there any diagrams to explain how to wire them up without bringing about these problems?

Comment

Working...
                X