banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a pickup hotter by adding another magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zerberus
    replied
    Re: Making a pickup hotter by adding another magnet?

Cool to hear that you got what you wanted. As I always say (and BTW the whole reason I started buildung axes myself): Sometimes you just canīt buy whatīs perfect, but you can ALWAYS make it yourself

Cheers

BTW: The "Ceramic" Custom is still more aggressive than my modded one, NB. THe V has a nice vintagey Fuzziness to it that the Dinky dares not have
    Last edited by Zerberus; 04-25-2004, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nightburst
    replied

YEEEAAAH!!! It worked!!!
    It took me a few attemts to get it right but after flipping magnets, trying out an A5, a ceramic, flipped it again, freaking out, going crazy, noticed I should open up the volume knobs completely, I said to myself: ''screw this, I'll put both magnets under there''.
    And then it finally worked! Not sonic mayhem but exactly what I wanted, the pickup became a little hotter resulting in a more evil sound to it!
    Cleans are still nice and warm and the little volume difference between the '59 and JB that was always present seems gone now. Seamless transition going from neck to bridge.

As you can read I'm pretty stoked right now so I think I'm gonna put some new strings on my guitar and test my rooms structural integrity.

Leave a comment:

• Nightburst
    replied

Ok done, but there seems to be little to no difference.
    I'll experiment some more then.
    Last edited by Nightburst; 04-25-2004, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vasshu the humanoid typhoon
    replied

Lol hehe get some Ceres Top Classic or regular Top instead, way better beer than Tuborg or Carlsberg
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Nightburst
    replied

And to you Rid!!! Cheers! (ok now I'm really outta here for the night )
    Tuborg is quite tastefully actually

Leave a comment:

• Vasshu the humanoid typhoon
    replied

Hehe the growing group of pickup butchers
    Count me in....I take mine apart one time too many as it is...hehe

Leave a comment:

• Nightburst
    replied

Lol it's also the first time I heard a custom with heavy distortion. So that means it will sound even more evil!? Damn! Can't wait to hear it!

So, time to get some owl piss and dutch vegtables. (Now I realise how direct translated jokes aren't funny )

Also to you Kent, cheers!
    Last edited by Nightburst; 04-25-2004, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kent S.
    replied

Cheers guys, drink safely, and I'll raise a glass (or two or three )to you to this evening) ... Thank reminds me that I've got three old Fernandez pups that are steel poled, and have a ceramic bar magnet glued to the underside,
    they would be ideal as experiments for that very thing. Cool ...

Leave a comment:

• Zerberus
    replied

Originally posted by Nightburst
    Wow, that was fast! Thank you Zerberus!
    Was luck, and the fact that we are in the same timezone and for the most part look in here at similar times

But one thing: the only tone youīve heard from me is a "true" custom in an alder Dinky, the Flying-v-Modded-cc Track is still under wraps (like the other 17). And the Dinky makes any but my Charvel cringe into a corner in fear

And now because it's weekend, let's have a warsteiner!!!
    Iīm already half drunk thanks to the "Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG". Cheers
    Last edited by Zerberus; 04-24-2004, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nightburst
    replied

Wow, that was fast! Thank you Zerberus!
    So I think I can conclude that I definately did something wrong by flipping the magnet. Maybe a second attempt will be succesful. It will have to wait untill tomorrow though since I want to keep the neighbours to stay on the friendly side.
    In the mean time the debate may continue!
    So you mixed an A2 with an A5? Can a ceramic magnet be mixed with an A5?
    Your Custom sounded wicked, basicly I'm trying to do the same thing to my '59: making it sound more evil! But then I hope the cleans won't be comprimised to much.

And now because it's weekend, let's have a warsteiner!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zerberus
    replied

Originally posted by Nightburst
    ....Now I'm not an expert on what affects what on a pickup but I recall reading something back on the old forum of making a pickup hotter by adding another magnet. (I think it was Zerberus?)
    Donīt think, know Yep, it was me

So that leaves me with some questions:

1) Is it possible at all?
    No, absolutely impossible. Thatīs why i was able to try it and love the results. If it would have been possible, I might have been disappointed.

PS: Donīt believe everything you read on the internet

2)Where do I put the extra magnet? I tried by just putting it on the underside of the bottom plate against the screw ends of the polepieces but the pickup sounded out of phase in that way. Flipping the magnet over didn't change anything (perhaps I did it wrong).
    I did exactly that with my cc, stuck it to the bottom with double-stick tape. First time it was ultra thin and sounded like a PAF on Valium instead of steroids But then i just flipped it and Kaboo: Instant sonic mayhem

3) I have some single coil bar magnets, can I simply replace the pickup spacers with those to get the desired effect? I'm not shure how this will affect the tone because one of the spacers in made of wood (and is probably Seymours secret ingredient)
    OOh, good one. But a nice idea, I think I gotta try that one

4)How will adding an extra magnet affect the clean tone of the pickup?
    After replacing the A5 with an Ceramic in the '59 the Distorted tone sounded much better but the cleans were slightly more bland. Still way beter than JB cleans though. I can't have it more bland because I need usable cleans.
    I donīt use fullsize hummies for cleans (when and if I play clean), so I canīt comment, sorry.

Sorry for the long read but I tried to explain the situation as detailled as possible. I hope some of the experts can chime in on this one.
    Yeah, a few experts would be great on this thread

What I essentially did was stick a "double height" A5 from some cheapo Dimarghzio copy under the baseplate of a CC. The tone went from good to great (for me). The result is Iīd say like a custom 7 or so. Somewhere between the "scooped" PAFishness of the C-5 and the "You got a problem? Want me to solve it?" PAFishness of the Custom with a ceramic. Perfect for my flying V. Keeps a bit of vintage vibe but still likes slitting throats

Leave a comment:

• Making a pickup hotter by adding another magnet?

I can't stop experimenting with those pickups, somebody stop me!
    Finally after installing seperate volumes (one 250K and one 500K), putting a ceramic magnet into the '59 and rotate the pickup so the polepieces face the bridge the '59/JB combo works for me too!!!! Pretty stoked now!
    Next on the list are hex screws for the '59 to tighten it up a little.

So far for the background info, my guitar never sounded better than this and it's more versatile than hell, still after playing for a while I can't stop myself from thinking 'what if I the '59 was just a little bit hotter?'.
    Now I'm not an expert on what affects what on a pickup but I recall reading something back on the old forum of making a pickup hotter by adding another magnet. (I think it was Zerberus?)

So that leaves me with some questions:

1) Is it possible at all?

2)Where do I put the extra magnet? I tried by just putting it on the underside of the bottom plate against the screw ends of the polepieces but the pickup sounded out of phase in that way. Flipping the magnet over didn't change anything (perhaps I did it wrong).

3) I have some single coil bar magnets, can I simply replace the pickup spacers with those to get the desired effect? I'm not shure how this will affect the tone because one of the spacers in made of wood (and is probably Seymours secret ingredient)

4)How will adding an extra magnet affect the clean tone of the pickup?
    After replacing the A5 with an Ceramic in the '59 the Distorted tone sounded much better but the cleans were slightly more bland. Still way beter than JB cleans though. I can't have it more bland because I need usable cleans.

Sorry for the long read but I tried to explain the situation as detailled as possible. I hope some of the experts can chime in on this one.
Working...
X