EMG 60 set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 60 set

would an EMG 60 set work well for hard rock/metal in an Ibanez SZ520 (mahogany/maple top, rosewood fretboard)? And I'm guessing I'd have to put a hole in my guitar for the battery clip right?

one other thing, I want a lot of bass and treble, but not too much mids, I heard EMG-60's are good for high end crunch, and a more unique sound than most pups.
    Last edited by Metalman_666; 04-26-2004, 09:08 PM.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: EMG 60 set

just a little more info, I want harmonics, clear note definition in palm muting and chords... yeah lol and I heard EMG-60 is good for that
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

Josh Rand of Stone Sour uses 60 sets in his ibanezs so its good for metal
      Gear Owned.
      PRS Modern Eagle Single Cut trem
      PRS Custom 24
      Splawn Nitro
      Splawn 4x12 g12-75s/vintage 30
      Zakk Wylde Wah
      Maxon Od808
      Boss tu-2
      Boss Ns-2

Comment

I would recommend a 60 for neck but not bridge. Go the route of 81 or 85 for the bridge. If you want harmonics, punch, crunchy palm mutes, and clarity under gain the 81 is the pickup for the bridge. The 85 in the bridge is "fuzzier" but "warmer" due to the different magnet.

neck 60 bridge 81, I think you'd be happy with that

Comment

what's wrong with the 60 for the bridge?
          • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
            what's wrong with the 60 for the bridge?
            it's just not as crunchy as an 81 or 85, and not intended for the bridge position even though it can be used there.

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong tho but doesn't James Hetfield Use a 60/60 set?
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

james uses a 60 in the neck.. not sure which one is in the bridge.. prolly the 85, or is it the 81.. i just know that if i go for an emg set it's gonna be the one he's got in that white explorer used on nothing else matters solo.. perfect tone, the clarity under gain is amazing (but i'd need a respectful axe to put it in, like an ... umm, explorer )

Comment

hetfield uses 60/81

hammet uses 81/81

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                    hammet uses 81/81
                    and 81/89 on one of his guitars (the kh4)
                    Originally posted by Aceman
                    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

hmm.. well if 81/60 is what is best... then I guess that sounds good, but even tho JohnJohn said I "might not have to route out the cavity" for the battery... I've never used EMG's in this guitar, so I would prob need to carve a new whole in the back, right??
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

No, I΄m sure you won΄t. The 25 k pot the EMGs come with are smaller than the regular 500 k pots, so the battery will fit easily into the electronics` cavity. The only guitar i can think of which will seriously need some routing is the Ibanez S Classic series due to their top mounted electronics.

Comment

I had the EMG Zakk Wylde set in my Les Paul (85 neck, 81 bridge) and was not happy with it at all- too much bass in both positions. I switched them around, 85 bridge and 81 neck, and it was much better- better crunch in the bridge and good clarity in the neck. I'm considering a 60 for the neck, but guitar center doesn't sell them

Comment

Originally posted by Puck
                            No, I΄m sure you won΄t. The 25 k pot the EMGs come with are smaller than the regular 500 k pots, so the battery will fit easily into the electronics` cavity.
                            so, just to be clear, what you're saying is that I can cut a hole in the plate on the back of the guitar, and put the battery clip there?

sorry for my idiocy
                            • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

no cutting holes. In that ibanez there will be plenty of space for a battery in the electronics compartment where the potentiometers and such are. I have a very similar guitar with the Zakk Wylde set and the battery fits fine.

60 is nice in the neck, but you'll hate it in the bridge. I highly recommend the 81.

jmh151 - too much bass? Not the 81, if anything it's trebly and midrangy. The 85 can be bassy in the neck, but not overwhelmingly so. Also, if you put the 85 in the bridge you get even more bass and higher output in the bridge so I have no idea what you're talking about. 85 is good in the bridge though, it's just different.

Comment

Working...
                              X