pickup suggestions for complete custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup suggestions for complete custom

im just getting finished with building my misfits guitar, and i need to know what kind of pickups to use in it, heres the specs on it:

3 piece alder body
    5 piece maple/mahogany neck with ebony fretboard-27 frets
    black and chrome original floyd rose(the saddles are chrome the baseplate is black to clarify this aint no double neck!) with recessed cavity for pulling up on the bar

and thats it so far i wont bore you with the fine details of it, but what i want is a razor edged, in your face progressive metal tone (think symphony x meets children of bodom) the only problem is since im using a 27 fret neck i cant fit a neck humbucker in it, so im stuck with a single coil there, you guys suggests would be welcomed

oh and btw heres a site with VERY few pictures of my project *more coming soon*

Re: pickup suggestions for complete custom

JB and lilī59 would probably work well for what youīre looking at, depending on how the guitar itself sounds acoustically.

Duncan Distortion or Custom will probably also work well at the bridge, but bodies with less wood near the bridge tend to sound a bit "brittle" as is, and the Custom and Distortion would likely accentuate that a bit too much (for my taste).
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Here's another one of those threads where I need to expand my guitar theory.
      What does a 27-fret neck have to do with not being able to fit a humbucker?

Comment

well i will simply put it to you this way, take a 24 fret neck off a jackson or something and line it up right next to mine and the end of my neck would hit where the bottom poles of the neck humbucker are centered, now theoretically i *could* put another humbucker in, but i dont want a slanted 'bucker routed on my body, they look gross to me, also i wouldnt be hitting the right harmonic node if i put in a neck hum is the problem. hope that makes some sense.

Comment

Artie, itīs the old theory of "22 vs 24 frets", with an extra 3 frets in this case. But in essence youīre right, Iīve built 36 fret axes with 3 hummies before

But as far as the harmonic node goes, THAT only makes a difference on the open strings and (possibly, but I say no) the first 2-3 frets. After that, the node is somewhere totally different anyway
          Last edited by Zerberus; 04-25-2004, 05:38 AM.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

WHAAAAAAAA????.......3....6......36 frets......3 humbuckers....was it on a baritone scale cause i dont know how you could have fit them without that.

Comment

Good guess, 27.5" scale

But without rings thereīs enough room on a 25.5" if you place ém right up next to each other without rings

Comment

what body style? your own design? or something already around, 36 frets is insane, i cant see how anybody uses them the frets just get soo tiny

Comment

Standard Soloist body style, deeper cutaways and the lower one was scalloped. Neck-thru, Maple/Ebony neck, Mahogany body wings, Kahler Pro 2300 trem.

Built it for Marco Weber of Clan Wolf, BTW

Comment

sounds completly killer! this guitars going to have of coarse a hum/mini hum combo in it, but also its going to have a set of coil taps, phase switches, parellel/series switch, booster, the works man-its going to be tough to fit it all in the small space on the guitar! but hey this project was based off of doyle of the misfits guitar meets a 70's bc rich custom shop so its going to sound killer!

Comment

The Body definitely looks lilke something Neal Moser would conjure up, thatīs for sure

Comment

LOL!!! so have you seen the new moser custom shop guitars yet? i post on those forums frequently as well, some of the deadliest lookin axes that i have ever graced my eyes upon (once i can get the cash that laviathan is mine!)

Comment

Seen, yes. Like, for the most part no

I prefer more classic shapes, I donīt even own a Kelly or a King V because I like the rounded shape of a Flying V or an Explorer better

Comment

Working...
                          X