banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importance of capacitors on the tone pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of capacitors on the tone pots?

How important is the quality of capacitor used between the guitar tone and volume pots? Is it a transparency issue or does it effect something else with the performance of the pickups?

Re: Importance of capacitors on the tone pots?

What are you done with amps now? lol
    ]
    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Turned them all into transistor heads

Comment

Gee, they make such a difference in amps, maybe they're magic in guitars too!

Comment

Hehe too little current in guitars...it is of no matter really.

Comment

The debate on Caps in the tone circuit is huge!!! Some say it absolutely doesn't matter because the circuit isn't active (under power) so the quality of the caps plays virtually no roll in shaping the tone - where as other buy expensive caps (you can spend as much as $80 on some "vintage" parts) and swear they make huge changes. I've only modded my tone circuit in one way that I (IMHO) can say it did change my overall tone, I took my tone pot, opened it up and put a few coats of fingernail polish on the pad which the wiper meets when you want NO tone changes - it takes the tone pot completely out of the circuit. I get more "presence" in the sound of the guituar - nothing huge but I've played around with different caps and it's the only thing I've done that I could hear the difference afterwards.

Comment

I like to voice my rig on the bright side and brown it a little with the tone rolled back a little. I use old Spragues, the 5/16" thick barrel type. No comparison with the little ceramics.

Comment

Orange Drops have a little resonance compared to the ceramic discs.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Folks will always debate the differences in compositon...ceramic, foil-oil, teflon and so on. What I think most of us will agree on, however is that the value of the cap makes a big difference in tone. It most certainly does in my guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweed
                    Folks will always debate the differences in compositon...ceramic, foil-oil, teflon and so on. What I think most of us will agree on, however is that the value of the cap makes a big difference in tone. It most certainly does in my guitars.
                    Completely agree with this. The value is critical, the composition, well, the jury is still out on that one, but i DO like the total result I got with the pot and cap upgrade with the RS kit...
                    'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

i have a question then, does a higher pot value produce a higher treble sound? whats the comparison?
                      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                      fender mim standard strat
                      peavey classic 30
                      johnson j-station
                      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                      yamaha f-310p acoustic
                      taylor 410 acoustic
                      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Think of a pot/cap combo as a "treble" valve, that dumps to ground.

The cap is how big the drain pipe is.
                        The pot is how far the valve is open.

A larger value cap means you have a bigger pipe to ground.
                        (You'll dump more treble.)

A larger value pot is the opposite. Its higher resistance - opposing the flow to ground.
                        A 500k pot at "5" is electrically identical to a 250k pot at "10".
                        It will allow you to "close-the-valve" a bit more.

Edit: Just to summarize: a higher value pot will allow you to "preserve" a bit more treble when at "10". All tone pots, of any value, are identical when on "0". (A short is a short.)
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-26-2004, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if I like Artie's analogy for caps.

How about this: the cap determines the cut-off point where the frequency band is "treble" or "not treble". Everything above that point will be dumped to ground as the tone knob is turned down.

If you use a higher value cap (i.e. .047), the "treble" zone will reach futher down, so when you turn the tone knob down, you will be removing more mids and producing mud. If you use a higher value cap (i.e. .01), the "treble" zone starts higher, so if you turn down the tone knob, you'll be removing just the high frequencies and leaving the mids (and maybe high-mids) alone.

So...the pot opens and closes the valve, and the cap determines what frequency range that valve covers.
                          This machine kills fascists

Comment

mattpetes analogy is pretty good.

ive been using orange drops for a long time, they work fine and are easy to find and inexpensive

Comment

Caps make a difference absolutely, obviously value more than type. .01's little roll off -.047 much larger roll off. I find Orange Drops to be the best for most of my guitars, never messed much with vintage style caps so I can't comment on them but certainly an OD vs. a ceramic disc there is a noticeable difference. It is not neccessarily a huge difference but there are subtleties that are there.
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X