banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are trembuckers for Floyd Rose tremolos only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are trembuckers for Floyd Rose tremolos only?

I've got a Hipshot ball-bearing tremolo on my guitar. Should I be considering a trembucker, or are those only meant for Floyd Rose-style tremolos? And is the trembucker only for bridge, or for neck as well?

Re: Are trembuckers for Floyd Rose tremolos only?

Trembuckers are used only for bridge position in the aim the pole pieces spaces fit the strings spaces with tremolos bridges like Floyd Rose or Kahler.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean the Floyd Rose and Kahler tremolos have the strings spaced more widely than a vintage-style tremolo like those by Fender or Hipshot?

Comment

Kahler: Not necessarily, the string spacing is adjustable

The best way to find out: Measure youre string spacing at the bridge. If its 2" (5.08cm) or thinner, a trembucker isnŽt "necessary". Anything above that and a TB will line up with the strings better

BTW: USA Fender Trems ara also spaced farther than 2", the F- part of "F-spaced" originally stood for Fender IIRC
        Last edited by Zerberus; 04-25-2004, 04:26 PM.
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

That doesn't quite make sense, though... not only does the Hipshot and most Fender tremolos have a string spacing greater than 2", every Tune-O-Matic bridge I've found does as well... is there any bridge with string spacing lower than 2"? Is there more to it than this?

My tremolo is a vintage-style tremolo with string spacing at 2.08". I'll note that the Tone Wizard does not recommend trembuckers for vintage-style tremolos... is string spacing perhaps not the only factor here?

Comment

Originally posted by Sage
            That doesn't quite make sense, though... not only does the Hipshot and most Fender tremolos have a string spacing greater than 2", every Tune-O-Matic bridge I've found does as well... is there any bridge with string spacing lower than 2"? Is there more to it than this?

My tremolo is a vintage-style tremolo with string spacing at 2.08". I'll note that the Tone Wizard does not recommend trembuckers for vintage-style tremolos... is string spacing perhaps not the only factor here?
            Classic Tune-o matics like the ABR-1 or the Nashville useually have a "thinner" spacing. But on a TOM you can also change the spacing by filing the string slots farther apart.

But youŽre correct, most modern Tune-O-Matics DO seem to be wider than the "classics"

IIRC hte Tone Wizard generally doesnŽt recommend Trembuckers at all, but the only thing that makes that "decision" is string spacing, trust me. THey do sound VEERY minimally different, but IŽll be willing to bet 98% of the players wouldnŽt know the difference, evev less in a blind test
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
              IIRC hte Tone Wizard generally doesnŽt recommend Trembuckers at all, but the only thing that makes that "decision" is string spacing, trust me. THey do sound VEERY minimally different, but IŽll be willing to bet 98% of the players wouldnŽt know the difference, evev less in a blind test

This is very true. I've done the comparison and on a relatively high output humbucker the different is barely audible and can be remedied by slightly raising the end string pole-pieces slightly. I just buy whatever I can find now....usually just grab F-spaced....

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                Classic Tune-o matics like the ABR-1 or the Nashville useually have a "thinner" spacing. But on a TOM you can also change the spacing by filing the string slots farther apart.

But youŽre correct, most modern Tune-O-Matics DO seem to be wider than the "classics"

Well, the Tone Wizard will recommend Trembuckers if you select "Locking Trem" as your Bridge Type, but not for anything else. I don't have a locking tremolo, just a vintage tremolo and locking tuners. I guess the best thing to do would be to just go with a regular pickup, since not only is that what's already in the guitar, but what the Tone Wizard recommends as well.

You guys have been a great help, thanks very much for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                X