banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP would a c5 be good for 80's solo's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP would a c5 be good for 80's solo's?

I was wondering if a c5 in a strat would be good for 80's type solo's in a strat with a rosewood fretboard. I know the jb is good but i need a good match for 59 in the neck.
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Re: HELP would a c5 be good for 80's solo's?

Anybody Come On
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

I would say it lacks the midrange
      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by fusion101
        I was wondering if a c5 in a strat would be good for 80's type solo's in a strat with a rosewood fretboard. I know the jb is good but i need a good match for 59 in the neck.
        If we are talking about 80's style ala shredding with a JCM 800 Marshall, the JB reigns supreme. That is "the" sound that is on a million records from the era.

The C5 is almost the exact opposite as it is scooped in the midrange and single notes sound smaller that that big fat Eddie Van Halen-ish style single note sound, although Eddie used a more PAF-ish pickup than a JB.

The Custom Custom as well is a big, fat midrangey pickup perfectly suited for that warm ballsy solo sound. Rumour has it that Eddie used a CC on at least some tracks of the Fair Warning album.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The C5 is a great pickup for 80s soloing. It has a similar tone to a PAF but more output. It is more open than the other customs. I have used them all in different guitars.
          CC, Custom, JB, 59 are also good for 80s tone. There was some variety back then

I have a bunch of quick demos I did with a C5 and a 79 Marshall at http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=112334 on the bottom of page
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Id stick with the JB especially if 80's soloing is what you're after, its what everyone used then and nothing sounds quite like it. But if you dont like the JB thats another story.

If you're definitely swapping it out then id go something more along the lines of custom, DD, or even a CC. I wouldnt go for the C5. But overally i wouldnt even think about getting rid of that JB, id sooner replace the neck pickup for something that matches better with the JB. Thats my recommendation
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

Download that, its a clip of my guitar with a JB in the bridge and although its a bluesy backing track the tone im using is pretty 80's...see what you think before you get rid of it.
              My Soundclick page.

Comment

Well for the early and mid 80's I used Bill Lawrence L-500's but I was trying to sound like it was the 70's

Late 80's I was using A2P's and Soapbar's mostly. For a stylized 80's sound today I think the CC nails it.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                  The C5 is a great pickup for 80s soloing. It has a similar tone to a PAF but more output. It is more open than the other customs. I have used them all in different guitars.
                  CC, Custom, JB, 59 are also good for 80s tone. There was some variety back then

I have a bunch of quick demos I did with a C5 and a 79 Marshall at http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=112334 on the bottom of page
                  steve how does the C 5 sound in basswood? is it the best of the customs for it? i want to try one in a ibanez RG.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                    steve how does the C 5 sound in basswood? is it the best of the customs for it? i want to try one in a ibanez RG.
                    I have only used it in poplar, ash, alder and mohogany, but not basswood. Sorry but I don't really know.

All of the Customs are nice pickups. I like the C5 because it is more "open" sounding, where it seems to be more flexible. You can tweak the poles to get more mids if that's what you want. I have never had an issue. Maybe that's because of my amp/speaker setup, which is very good at projecting mids.
                    Last edited by Stevo; 04-26-2004, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I have only used it in poplar, ash, alder and mohogany, but not basswood. Sorry but I don't really know.

All of the Customs are nice pickups. I like the C5 because it is more "open" sounding, where it seems to be more flexible. You can tweak the poles to get more mids if that's what you want. I have never had an issue. Maybe that's because of my amp/speaker setup, which if very good at projecting mids.
                      poplar is very similar to basswood and would be a close enough wood to compare

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                        poplar is very similar to basswood and would be a close enough wood to compare
                        OK - here is a clip I did with a poplar tele and a C5 http://www.soundclick.com/util/Downl...cfm?ID=1169340

Comment

OK - here is a clip I did with a poplar tele and a C5 http://www.soundclick.com/util/Downl...cfm?ID=1169340
                          thanks!

Comment

Allright , the C5 with a set of allen pole piece is the best metal pickup , big tight bass , screaming treebles , enough midrange , harmonics everywhere , and power , clarity , perfect balance , that's in a gibson MIII basswood body.
                            The improvement the allen screws make is inbelievable , i tried the c5 before and it was too sweet , to polite, muddy at low strings and a bit lazy with fast shredding .
                            Believe this it is a pickup of your dreams , i say it again and i will but not eternaly , and i would like somebody try it to get a feedback ...cheers .

Comment

Originally posted by fab.regnaut
                              The improvement the allen screws make is inbelievable
                              This makes total sense to me. I did a lot of pole tweaking with mine, before I was really happy with it. After that, I liked it a lot.

Maybe you are on to something big here fab

Comment

Working...
                              X