FS neck and JB perfect combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel
    I have the same prob finding a high gain PU for the neck that matches the JB.
    I was just kthinkin of trying the JB/JB combo. Never heart anyone try this.
    I'll gonna have the neck PU low: in my short experience the JB get on low positions more highs and is brighter.... Yeah and i want the neck hot! Don't care about cleans much.... Neck louder wouldn't be bad for me. And I could use my Tone pot as second Volume pot.
    You could also consider dual concentric pots. That way you can have it all or at least one master tone.
    I don't think putting a JB in the neck would be the solution. I doubt that would balance out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
      Hey Marcel,

Check out my previous post...I did the JB-JB combo for about a year or so. Got tired of changing guitars for a more crisp clean tone at the neck. If you don't need that, the JB-JB combo kicks serious tail. The neck position is so creamy...jeez, imagine Slash's neck tone on steroids. A lot of people were asking me how I got such a smooth, sizzling neck tone...that's how!! Like I said, we need a JB neck design so I don't have to lower it to even with the pickguard...it's way loud in the neck compared to the bridge when you have your bridge JB at a good distance for tone/sustain considerations.

Farkus
      Ah sorry just read the first post. I thought the second was the same. Maybe you have to delete the first .

Sound good and bad. Neck PU with the Pickguard is good because I always hit the strings between 12 th and Neck PU and i hit the strings hard when 'chording and sometimes i hit the PU.
      Now i have him that way too 'coz it's just crap against the JB neck. It's weird but my neck pu has screwed down at its own.

Ah smooth is maybe not that what i want to though if you call the JB in the bridge smooth to it could be perfect .
      How is the bass in the JB neck i don't want to have more than in the bridge.

Nightburst:
      Don't need Dual conc. coz my tone pot isn't in use....
      I think i'm going to wire it with just 2 HB and two Vols. And 5 way switch with split option. Maybe 3 way and one push pull for split. BTW do you have the original Ibanez Pots or did you changed them.
      That would give me enough options.
      Last edited by Marcel; 03-17-2004, 03:07 PM.
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        I hate to say it....but what about switching the entire set up? Maybe Custom/59 or C-5/59 or PGn?
        I will try the '59/custom combo in a different guitar in the future. But fot this one right now, I won't even touch the JB. I have it in sweet spot and continues to blow me away everytime I play some guitar.

Marcel, yeah I knew you weren't using the tone pot but wouldn't it come in handy to have a master tone control? I don't think I would like the extra brightness added by removing the tone pot.
        I replaced all the electronics, the tone pot was getting scratchy and I figuered I might as well replace everything.

Comment

I've never tried the FS but the PG seems close to what you are looking for. I have also tried the PG together with a JB and their "mids" meet somewhere very well. Not a bad combination, just slightly too agressive for me.

Marin
          °
          my stuff

Comment

I probably have my Full Shred (neck) in a less than ideal guitar. I bought a Ibanez GAX70 (agathis similar to alder) for a beater, and the owner had installed a FS(n)/DD(b). The DD sounds ok in that guitar, but the FS sounds very tubby under high gain. I was hearing how articulate this was supposed to be, but with a Recto setting, it's not the kind of crystal clear shred pickup I was expecting. Even under a Marshall setting the pickup seems muffled. One thing however it did sound great as a clean pickup for jazz. I might use this for my Epi Dot for the neck...

Comment

One of the guitarists from Thursday(Tom Keely) uses the JB/JB combo. They have a great guitar sound in my opinion.
              PRS Singlecuts
              Epiphone Sheraton II
              Vintage acoustics

Comment

I appreciate your input guys! I'm reading some usefull stuff here.
                Now I start to wonder about the PG since people keep reccomending them. Personally I just don't think it will be hot enough. I tend to think of it as a '59 with some more presence due to the mids.

I'm seriously considering the Screaming Demon right now. Seems like the best option. Or another jb in neck position, but wouldn't lowering the pickup drasticly make it's tone lifeless?

Comment

I'd go with the Screamin' Demon myself. Sounded very clear and articulate in a Les Paul and sounded awesome clean and for distorted it did better than any humbucker I have heard and yes I have heard a pearly gates which sounds good if you are looking for smooth and warm, which I dont think you are at all. The Screamin' Demon will match up well with the JB output wise. Glad you enjoy your JB, I still have tried to like it and havent totally won me over.

Maybe I need a new amp to compliment my JB...

Comment

Originally posted by Push to Shuv
                    One of the guitarists from Thursday(Tom Keely) uses the JB/JB combo. They have a great guitar sound in my opinion.
                    yeah i like the thursday sound much...
                    i always thought they just play SGs an LPs whith JB in the Bridge...

The gutiarist said he also plays a Tele with Hotrails and said it is something between the SG and LP. I'm gonna hotrod the old Tele of my drummer with a HotRail. maybe it will be a nice axe....
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                      i always thought they just play SGs an LPs whith JB in the Bridge...
                      Thats what i thought too, but i read recently an atricle where he said he has a les paul with JB's.

Nightburst...I think you would be happy with the screamin demon in the neck, very great choice i must say.
                      PRS Singlecuts
                      Epiphone Sheraton II
                      Vintage acoustics

Comment

Ah we have to ask the guys of thiursday they will answer questions on their website...
                        TS 7 (modded)
                        Hot Rod 50+ XL
                        Framus Dragon 4x12
                        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Ok tone gurus...if I don't keep the PG in my neck position, how will the Demon sound there...I mean how much gain, how much high end...articulate for shred? I have never tried the pickup there; I didn't like it in the bridge of my buddies Les Paul...not enough juice (or something) to suit me. You know the drill--enlighten me!

Farkus
                          2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                          1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
                            Ok tone gurus...if I don't keep the PG in my neck position, how will the Demon sound there...I mean how much gain, how much high end...articulate for shred? I have never tried the pickup there; I didn't like it in the bridge of my buddies Les Paul...not enough juice (or something) to suit me. You know the drill--enlighten me!

Farkus
                            I got the idea for the SD because of the SD thread. People are giving very nice detailled descriptions of the pickup and Neeradj gives a review of it in neck position. Check it out, the topic should still be floating around here. They all agreed it was very articulate under gain, it growls, has quick pick response and had nice Pafish cleans so it's very versatile (just like the JB). Sounds perfect to me! 10K should be enough to keep up with 16k at the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                            X