your solder choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: your solder choice

Heh - I hope I didn't sound too arrogant there.

This issue came up not too long ago in the old forum, so I asked my solder instructor, who's just donw the hall, and he's the one that told me about the silver not being good to use in circuits such as this.

I'll have to talk to him again when I get back, and see if I can the "official" word on the do's and don'ts of this.

Comment

I just use a general purpose lead-free solder from the local DIY store. It does the job. I'm not too worried about what type of solder it is (provided I don't damage anything soldering), given that the guitar itself, the pickups, the number and type of leads, the amp, all the effects pedals, and even the room I'm playing in change the sound

Comment

60/40 solder solder is fine, but better to go with the lead free for health reasons ... the lead free silver solder is what i like best, gives a bit stronger connection. Many people advise using smaller diameter solder 0.050 or again I like the slighly larger diameter, but it depends on what you are doing at the time. A good lead free rosin core solder on the thinner side will do you.
        Just about anything will work as long as it's rosin core solder.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
        X