Angled Pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled Pups

Why is it done? How does it impact the tone of the pup?
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Re: Angled Pups

Originally posted by Stratoplayer
    Why is it done? How does it impact the tone of the pup?

Do you mean the way the actual pickup is positioned (slanted) on the guitar (like the bridge pickup of a strat)?

If so, I think that originally it was to further exaggerate the brightness of the top strings.

I personally like the slant to be the other way around where the pickup's high string polepieces are more towards the neck and the low pole pieces are more towards the bridge.

This warms up the thinner strings and "un-muddies" the lower ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
    buggjuice.net
    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm thinking that Mac is right. The reason those pups are angled is for tone, most likely to compensate for the brightness of a single coil in a strat. When its slanted like that it makes the top strings a little brighter because they're dark as it is.
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

AFAIK, that's exactly why it's done - for example, the same pup in the neck or bridge pos on a guitar will sound different - closer to the bridge is more trebly & brighter, closer to the neck is darker, warmer.
        Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Thanks guys, that clears things up! Mac, you've got a good idea going, I'd like to try some pups reverse angled.
          Ibanez RG1570: stock
          Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Working...
          X