• Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Flying V?

Hi guys,
    this is my FIRST POST HERE!
    i decided to join up coz u guys seem to give really awesome advice around
    KUDOS to all yu'z!

anyways, this is my prob!
    i have a Gibson Faded Flying V, which rocks, but im not entirely happy with the bridge pickup...i love the neck, it just sings to me, but the bridge is nothing special (think its a 500T)
    i was hoping you could give me some advice on what SD pickups would sound great in it - im thinkn a Duncan custom, DD or JB - im not too sure, just need your opinions and/or clips if u have any?
    the specs of the guitar are: mahog body and neck with an ebony fretboard.
    i play lots of Prog Rock/Metal, as well as funk
    the sorta tones im into are: heavy porcupine tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Metallica (Load), and Pearl Jam to name a few

it would be really cool if you could help me out with this decision!
    thanks in advance
    ISHMUN
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: Pickups for Flying V?

Welcome!!

I'm using a JB Bridge right now and I LOVE it. I too play some prog metal and the JB does very well for this. Make sure you check out the tips and clips area. I'm sure you can find some JB clips in there. If not, PM me and I'll make a clip for ya.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum

I´m thinking JB, because I think the JB is the only one that can do just about anything, and a lot of the tones you seem to be looking for are a bit less on the Aggressive side, which is where the other 2 (DD and DC) really excel. And you may not like the sizzle of the ceramic magnet combined with an ebony fretboard, although the shoter scale and Mahogany body tame that right quick...:

I had the Custom in My V, and it lacked thump. But my V is also alder and not as I originally thought Korina. That explains it pretty quick.

But I think all 3 would be ablt to do it depending on your amp, cripes I can even get decent Zep tones out of a custom with the right amp settings.
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I've got a Seth Lover in the bridge of my V98.

Comment

hey guys thanx for the speedy responses!!

Zerberus - the amp i use is a Mesa Boogie Mark III Head, that goes into a Gmajor and then into a 2x12 Marshall Cab
          I also forgot to mention i also have a Music Man Sillhoutte Special (with a custom wound Dimarzio PAF Pro) and an Ibanez 3120 with a Tone Zone in it

im really lookn for somthing different to Dimarzio, and somthing that contrasts with the tone zone in my other guitar

btw there any other brands (besides Dimarzio) u guys would recommend fo the style of tones i would want to get?

thanks alot guys, this is really helping!
          Guitars:
          Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
          Amps:
          Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

i think the Custom may be what you are looking for. it has a nice fat tone similiar to the artist you mentioned(dream theater rocks!!! ) and can clean up relatively well.

how is the Mark III? how is it's gain/lead, whatever channels on it?

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
              how is the Mark III? how is it's gain/lead, whatever channels on it?

hey man,
              the mark III is really nice, u should try it out if u have the chance
              the clean channel is awesome - like a bell, it just really seems to sing, almost as if the notes swell after plucking them. i also use a DS-1 pedal and a TS-9 that interact well with this channel - i REALLY dig it
              channel 2 - its a crunchy sorta one, meant to sound like a marshall - i dont use it, its really way to mid based, and doesnt have the character of the other 2 channels. for an overdriven sound, i just use my dist pedals and not this channel
              Channel 3 - the lead channel - its my fave for soloing - so sweet and creamy - this is why u buy this amp, u dont get a lead sound like this from many amps.... for hard rhythm playin, u can get all the DT/old metallica sounds and it rocks pretty hard
              if u wanna get one, i must suggest taht u should find a Simul-class one with a graphic EQ. the EL's and the 6L6's interact really well in this amp, it gives it more crunch....
              overall, theres a bit of a mid spike in the amp, which is nice, but doesnt help if ur looking for a nu metal blazing recto sound, but this thing wasnt built to be a recto, its built to be a Mark - excellent sounding! if u would like some clips, just leave a msg!

ON ANOTHER NOTE: ive been going all around the forum and found some really nice clips of the Duncan Custom Custom - would u think this pickup would be a good choice for my situation? its very hard for me to try out pickups, as i live in Sydney, Australia, not many stores have guitars set up wit many SD pickups....so ill be basing my choice on clips and info i can find!

Thanks for your help!
              Guitars:
              Amps:

Comment

IMHO, the best combo for a V are Custom/59. I've got that set up in my V. Really covers a lot of ground. If it's good enough for Schenker.......
                GUITARS
                STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                AMPS
                Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Working...
                X