Coil split; Series or parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil split; Series or parallel

Which wiring would give me the least volume drop and best usable (stratty ala Gilmour) sound? It's for a DD bridge and a '59 neck in a Gibson LP custom. Any input would be appreciated....

Re: Coil split; Series or parallel

Originally posted by -Heineken-
    Which wiring would give me the least volume drop and best usable (stratty ala Gilmour) sound? It's for a DD bridge and a '59 neck in a Gibson LP custom. Any input would be appreciated....
    Parallel is going to give you about 1/3 of your total output with no hum...

Split will get you closer to a single coil tone but will also give you the single coil hum..In either case,you won't exactly get a true single coil tone,but it's usable and at least gives you the versatility of series and split tones...I always use a DPDT ON/ON/ON switch so I can have series/split/parallel with a switch..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Re: Re: Coil split; Series or parallel

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      Parallel is going to give you about 1/3 of your total output with no hum...

Split will get you closer to a single coil tone but will also give you the single coil hum..In either case,you won't exactly get a true single coil tone,but it's usable and at least gives you the versatility of series and split tones...I always use a DPDT ON/ON/ON switch so I can have series/split/parallel with a switch..

John

Thanx for the info.

Would like more opinions from other guitarplayers here on what they prefer though...

Comment

Working...
      X