banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After you swap Magnets in an SD Humbucker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After you swap Magnets in an SD Humbucker...

How do you wind the fiber wrapping back around the pup? Should I just buy some crazy glue?

Re: After you swap Magnets in an SD Humbucker...

Originally posted by StrangeDay
    How do you wind the fiber wrapping back around the pup? Should I just buy some crazy glue?
    I Use 3M Super Spray Adhesive 77...Spray the wrap,let it set up and get nice and tacky and stick it back onto the bobbin sides...Krazy Glue never works for me and it's only good for sticky my fingers together! Don't go nuts with the spray,just a nice thin film will stick the cloth back nice....You can also wrap the bobbins with 3M Electrical Tape #33...I've used the tape and then dipped the whole pickup in wax..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Do I need to buy WAX too, then?!

Comment

I also have 3M "Artist's adhesive" Will that work? It reads,
        "SPMA MAX 70 VOC" under the can.

Comment

If you disrupted the coils while doing the magnet swap, you may need to give the pickup a quick potting job. If not, just doing
          what stratdeluxer97 said will be fine.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I also have 3M "Artist's adhesive" Will that work? It reads,
            "SPMA MAX 70 VOC" under the can.
            I'm not familiar with your product but you could do a taste test with it on a similar type of material to see how sticky it is?

I've done Bachtorock's advice of carefull reheating the wax by using a hair dryer until the wax just turns watery and clear in color..The last Hybrid I made though,I actually dipped it in a wax container that I got from Walmart..The container is big enough to totally submerge my pickup in...See the link below...I think I show the pickup dipped in my wax container at the bottom of my tutorial?

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'm excited. I puleld out my Custom 5 pup and started testing the procedures on your page.
              I unwrapped the pup first.
              Then I loosened the four small philips screws.
              I wanted to pull the magnet out, but thought I shoudl stop there for now.

I still don't see what the wax is for. I'm assuming I wouldn't need wax if my pickup does not have a cover.
              Last edited by StrangeDay; 03-17-2004, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Depending on the pup I generally leave the tape in place and kinda push it out of the way ... But if I gotta remove it ... Well if it's old I'll chuck it and use electrical tape, if it's a newer pup,
                (read tape in good condition) I'll put it back in place and then wrap electrical tape around it ... i just like the electrical tape.
                Clear nail polish would probably work good as well, as you can use that stuff as an adhesive that's easily removed on a lot of things.
                If you want to be tacky, you could use that coloured electrical tape to add a bit of ...
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I'm not into the cover thing myself, and have never had a problem with not repotting, but as a good side query what kinda wax do you use ... They (whoever they are )used to sell a little pack of wax bars ... they were sold in grocery stores for sealing foods that you *canned* (ala mason jar) ... I remember those from my childhood ...so where do you get the wax ... somebody must sell something similar, and what about the pup wrapping tape?
                  Got any good suppliers John?
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I still don't see what the wax is for. I'm assuming I wouldn't need wax if my pickup does not have a cover.
                    Without wax the PU is more microphonic and buzzing/feedbacking.
                    The most duncans are wax potted no matter if they have a cover or not.

The Seth Lover isn't wax pottted.
                    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Let me make sure I undrestand the purpose of re-waxing.
                      Though there is already wax inside of the pup, it should be re-heated so that the new magnet, bobbins, etc can be molded together again, thus preventing microphonics?

Comment

Let me make sure I undrestand the purpose of re-waxing.
                        Though there is already wax inside of the pup, it should be re-heated so that the new magnet, bobbins, etc can be molded together again, thus preventing microphonics?
                        Yep...And it isn't super critical....if you get your pickup back into your guitar and you don't hear high pitched squeeling(Microphonics)then you're good to go...It just ceases to be a problem with Seymour's potted humbuckers from my experiences.

John

Comment

ive never had to re-dip a pup after a magnet swap. if your swapping the magnet on a covered pup make sure the cover is tight to the top when you solder it back on or it may squeal

Comment

Thanks, dudes. Seems like I'll be OK with the hair dryer trick.

Comment

When I flipped the mag on my NEW C- 5 i did just like KENT S said, i just loosened the screws , pushed them up pushed the mag out some grabbed it, flipped it , & was done , never took the tape off, did not rewax or heat, NO problem..thanks to the advice from the forum...

Comment

Working...
                              X