Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB in Wolfgang a good choice?

Hi duncan dudes.

I have a black wolfgang standard tremolo model. I love the JBjr in my strat so I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pup in my wolfgang for a JB.
    (The wolf's pup's are a little hard and cold)
    I'm using a Marshall 30 anniversary 6100 LE head, a great amp!

So who had tride a JB in a Wolfgang and how did it turn out?
    Last edited by d-bone; 04-26-2004, 01:10 PM.

Re: JB in Wolfgang a good choice?

It may be a little on the bright side. I've found that the Wolfgang sounds best with warmer sounding pickups. I've tried lots of different pickups in my Wolfgang, but not the JB. But based on the characteristics of that pickup and the construction of the guitar, I'd say it would be fairly bright.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
      It may be a little on the bright side. I've found that the Wolfgang sounds best with warmer sounding pickups. I've tried lots of different pickups in my Wolfgang, but not the JB. But based on the characteristics of that pickup and the construction of the guitar, I'd say it would be fairly bright.

Ryan
      Ryan, are you using the Blues Trembucker? Am I remembering right here?

I love the JB, but I don't know about it in that axe. Might rule, though.
      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I tried my mate's JB in my stoptail when I first started changing out pickups - my impression was that it was still too bright for my tastes. And this is after hearing the Wolfy bridge pickup. My personal fav was the CC in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck.
        'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial
          I tried my mate's JB in my stoptail when I first started changing out pickups - my impression was that it was still too bright for my tastes. And this is after hearing the Wolfy bridge pickup. My personal fav was the CC in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck.

Ok, now I'm thinking about trying out the CC. I've heard that it's great in strats as well as in the Wolfgang. I'm always looking for new tones, and this sounds pretty cool. I've just been a bit gunshy about trying the PAF style pups esp after my first run in with the PG+, which I didn't care for at all. But something a little more 'modern' like the CC might just be the ticket!

But, I'm wondering if I can say that I've really experimented until I've tried the '59, Seths, or Antiquity pups. Maybe the Wolfy would sound more 'complex' with this style of pup? Hmm...now I'm starting to GAS and I'll probably buy 10 pickups this weekend and try 'em all.

You guys and your questions!!!!

Farkus

Comment

Originally posted by d-bone
            Hi duncan dudes.

I have a black wolfgang standard tremolo model. I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pup in my wolfgang for a JB.
            (The wolf's pup's are a little hard and cold)

yesterday i may have agreed with you?(long story!) but today i find the wolfgangs to be very good pups and not at all hard or cold?

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
              yesterday i may have agreed with you?(long story!) but today i find the wolfgangs to be very good pups and not at all hard or cold?
              I agree. I ended up keeping my Wolfy stock because for certain applications it freakin rocks! Specially through a 5150 or high gain amp. Has a tone that very few guitars can emulate.

D-bone, I've been through about 10 different pickup changes trying to find the right combo. My bandmates been through about the same as well. What I did do is search through the archives & sound clips to find the perfect combo for my type of music and for whichever axe I was modding. SOOOOO many people raved about the C5 in a LP type guitar that I took a chance - and now I'm one of those people raving! A lot of people love the 59 for versatility, but I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to get the ultimate in PAF sound, I'd try an ANtiquity or Seth. Went with the former. My CC is still lying around somewhere and I'm gonna slot it in my strat because I've heard a lot of good comments about that HB in a bolt on.

My advice is pick the sound you want and then consider your gear.
              Last edited by Seraphial; 04-27-2004, 06:18 PM.
              'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Thanks dudes, the wolf's pup's may be perfect for 5150 but not for marshalls.
                It would be great to get some more opinions from someone who's tried a JB in a wolfgang.

Comment

Thanks dudes, the wolf's pup's may be perfect for 5150 but not for marshalls.
                  It would be great to get some more opinions from someone who's tried a JB in a wolfgang.
                  just the old vintage marshalls,i heard one guys clip and it was

I know for a fact that the wolfgang as a whole including the pups were designed with the 5150 amp as the main amp so naturally it will sound at home through one
                  Last edited by RG 2570; 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Ok. The Wolfgang bridge pup does not sound bad but it sounds harder and colder to me compared to gutiars with JB's.
                    I have two EVH Musicman as well and those dimarzios are to loose (with marshall, sounds perfect in a 5150, I've tried that combo) for my taste again compared to guitars with JB's. I've had other guitars with dimarzios but could not stand em' so dimarzios are out of the question for me.
                    I'm just used to the way the JB behaves and responds to me and my amp.

I'll guess I have to get me a JB for my wolfgang to find out myself.
                    (The Musicmans will remain untouched)

Comment

Ok. The Wolfgang bridge pup does not sound bad but it sounds harder and colder to me compared to gutiars with JB's.
                      I have two EVH Musicman as well and those dimarzios are to loose (with marshall, sounds perfect in a 5150, I've tried that combo) for my taste again compared to guitars with JB's. I've had other guitars with dimarzios but could not stand em' so dimarzios are out of the question for me.
                      I'm just used to the way the JB behaves and responds to me and my amp.

I'll guess I have to get me a JB for my wolfgang to find out myself.
                      (The Musicmans will remain untouched)
                      the only problem if there is ANY with putting a JB in a wolf would be you may find the JB to be too bright in a already bright guitar?
                      that is easy to resolve though just use a 250K pot in pllace of the 500K

Comment

the only problem if there is ANY with putting a JB in a wolf would be you may find the JB to be too bright in a already bright guitar?
                        that is easy to resolve though just use a 250K pot in pllace of the 500K

I always use a 250K with the JB. Just sounds better...!

Comment

I compared the peavey wolf bridge pup to the duncan JB yesterday in my guitar
                          and i found the JB to sound harder/harsher?
                          the JB had a lot of treble moreso than the wolfgang pup?

Comment

I compared the peavey wolf bridge pup to the duncan JB yesterday in my guitar
                            and i found the JB to sound harder/harsher?
                            the JB had a lot of treble moreso than the wolfgang pup?
                            Thanks
                            Was it a wolfgang guitar?

Comment

Thanks
                              Was it a wolfgang guitar?
                              no it was in a RG which is not as bright sounding as a wolfgang
                              see that another thing maybe that is why i like the wolfgang pups i am using them in a RG not a wolfgnag

Comment

Working...
                              X