Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS McCarty PU Change

Hey guys,
    I love the the sound of the Jazz/JB combo in my Les Paul, but after asking around and listening a good bit... It seems I'm probably gonna want something with a tad more mids and some more bass to get closer to the sound of the LP.

Anyone replaced the PUs in their PRS got any tips?

Re: PRS McCarty PU Change

if you like that sound, go w/ the jazz and jb. the only diff. you'll here is the sonic charicteristics of your prs, and you cant get pass that.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
      if you like that sound, go w/ the jazz and jb. the only diff. you'll here is the sonic charicteristics of your prs, and you cant get pass that.

Right, I was just going to try and offset the differences between axes if possible. I know it's not feasible to get it EXACT, and that's not what I'm looking for, but pretty close would be nice. The PRS plays a whole lot better than the LP, but I'd like to get it to sound a little more like the LP. It's already pretty bright and all, and I've got a feeling that the JB might be a bit much in the treble department there.

Thanks for the reply, peace.

Comment

Try a Pearly Gates or 59B in the Bridge of that PRS. The Pearly will have more mids, and the 59 seems awfully well balanced, at least to me.
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I have a Mc Carty loaded with Seth Lovers and it's the best PU set I tried in those axes. It gives a LP like tone with an easy control of the sustain.
          I also have a Pearly Gates loaded Mc Carty, those bring more mids and harmonics.

I have CU 22s, one loaded with '59s and the other loaded with A2Ps. The '59s give better tone in a CU22 than in a Mc because it's a lighter weight and brighter axe, they sounded a little too dark and sometimes muddy (neck PU) in the Mc.
          The A2Ps are huge in the CU22 , they were also in the Mc Carty.

Next step will be to try Ants and Jazz set in a PRS
          Pickups used :
          Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
          PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
          PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
          PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
          PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
          PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
          PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
          PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
          PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
          Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
          Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
          SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn
            Right, I was just going to try and offset the differences between axes if possible. I know it's not feasible to get it EXACT, and that's not what I'm looking for, but pretty close would be nice. The PRS plays a whole lot better than the LP, but I'd like to get it to sound a little more like the LP. It's already pretty bright and all, and I've got a feeling that the JB might be a bit much in the treble department there.

Thanks for the reply, peace.
            Wow, I find the newer LP Standards play better than the McCarties I've played but we are different in our likes and dislikes!

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
              Wow, I find the newer LP Standards play better than the McCarties I've played but we are different in our likes and dislikes!

My LP Studio is a couple of years old, I need to go try out a newer standard... But, I got the McCarty because of the double cutaway. I'm a thumb-over type of guy, and the double cut makes my life a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
              X