No announcement yet.

DiMarzio PAF classic problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what you are saying it seems that PAF classic it is the DiMarzio's Alnico II Pro version. Isn't it?

Or may be Seth Lover's?

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
      For what you are saying it seems that PAF classic it is the DiMarzio's Alnico II Pro version. Isn't it?

Or may be Seth Lover's?
      NO, the air classic is like a aged 1959 P.A.F.
      the concept of "air buckers" is to make a full strength alnico 5 magnet a bit weaker.
      in turn it makes the pup a bit more dynamic,and give a lower string pull from the magnet for better sustain.
      If you feel the air classic is a bit too mellow,you can take off the cover and remove the air spacers, this will give the pickup more output,push, then it is up to you whether or not to put back on the cover? i dont like covers myself,they blanket the tone a bit

Comment

Yea, but...
        8.5k neck is like a thousand ohms over AP2, 59, seth. My personal taste 8.1 with an A2 is as high as I want to go (neck). Man that 8.7 (PAF Classic) isn't tromping the 8.1 (59) in the bridge then it has to be the airbucker spacer.
        Someone else ask you about 250k pots...man they'll really take a pair of pickups down.
        Chuck
        Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
          Man that 8.7 (PAF Classic) isn't tromping the 8.1 (59) in the bridge then it has to be the airbucker spacer.

Chuck
          yes since the air spacers bring it down dimarzio overwound it

Comment

Somebody please come save the PAF Classic Neck cause I'm about to bash it without even hearing it. Okay we're talking #42 gauge wire cause these are vintage replica's…that's given…who goes over 8.1 on the neck?
            Mongrollo doesn't like them in either position, that doesn't mean I wouldn't, but with out hearing them to give them a chance to redeem...that neck pickup's out of there.
            I think the rear pickup could be killer (Gib Classic Plus) with an A2 or A5 mag touching the coil.
            I have put a nickel base on a Dimarzio PAF but I didn't record it
            before the swap so no hard AB comparison but I'm going to say I don't think it is nearly as big a deal as nickel VS zinc covers.
            The air gap below the mag Sure seams like it would affect the flux line pattern although I've seen cheap pickups built like the mod I'm offering.
            Like I said before if you try the mod and there's hope...then replace the poles.
            Based on the way my DiMarzio PAF performs (less bass and mid that compliments a JB or DD in the rear) in comparison with my other 8.1 neck pickups, and if that magic carries over to the PAF Classic Bridge, if modded would sound like a Pearly Gates Plus (IMO).
            I wish Jeremy would elaborate on the Pearly Gates thought and did he insert the spacer below the mag or what?
            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
            X