Custom 5 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 5 question

Hey everyone,I just got a custom 5 installed in my ibanez Rg520.I don't know if it's me but it seems too trebly and harsh especially when trying to play lead.I have a Jazz in the neck and it's great.But I'm not to impressed with the custom,maybe I need something with more bass or mids?

Re: Custom 5 question

Have you tried lowering the height a bit? Maybe its just a question of balance in comparison to the strings.
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

i just tried it and it does make a diffenence.I made it about even with the neck pickup and they sound better together too!!Thanks alot for your help,you certainly know what your talking about.

Comment

Well if worse came to worse you could swap out the magnet for an alnico 2 and have a custom custom...

Comment

What sort of wood is your guitar?
          Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

i wasn't either impressed when i tried the c5 in my strat......i think it is more oriented to les paul type guitars.

Comment

Also try adjusting the pole pieces so that they are equal distances from the strings (one of Seymour's own tips). The C5 is very sensitive to subtle changes in pu and pole piece height.
              GUITARS
              STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
              AMPS
              Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter1974
                i just tried it and it does make a diffenence.I made it about even with the neck pickup and they sound better together too!!Thanks alot for your help,you certainly know what your talking about.
                I had a C5 in a guitar sorta similar to that one and found that I didn't like the C5 until I lowered it too.

Comment

Hey everyone,I just got a custom 5 installed in my ibanez Rg520.I don't know if it's me but it seems too trebly and harsh especially when trying to play lead.I have a Jazz in the neck and it's great.But I'm not to impressed with the custom,maybe I need something with more bass or mids?
                  you play a 520 which is a mahogany/quilt sapele top RG,i would have thought the C5 would kill in that guitar?
                  I was considering getting one for my basswood RG 2570 but i am not so sure now you said this about it in mahogany

Comment

Glad to be of service! Hope you enjoy your new HB - it freakin rocks!
                    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by StefanM
                      What sort of wood is your guitar?
                      i believe it is mahogany/quilt sapele top

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker35
                        Also try adjusting the pole pieces so that they are equal distances from the strings (one of Seymour's own tips). The C5 is very sensitive to subtle changes in pu and pole piece height.
                        Oh that sounds cool I've never tried that.I am certainly goin to try it and see what I come up with.I played around some more last night and i'm really starting to like these pickups.They have more tone options than my emg-81's did.And less power which I like,I am goin try a alnico 2 in it.I heard a clip of a custom custom and the same clip with custom 5 and the custom custom sounded better.

Comment

INteresting you guys are saying to lower the C-5. I would think raising would fatter the tone at least I have found that....fatter and more sizzle. Maybe the sizzle was the issue. My C-5 is or was about 1/16" from the strings.

Comment

The C5 is really fine tuneable. In my Explorer, if I run it as close to the strings as I do some pickups ( for maximum punch) the c5 actually looses some. You have to back it down some to let it "air" out. I think it doesnt sustain as free when its too close. Drop it down alittle and it sustains for ever, the harmonics improve and overall tone comes to life. Balance the ends for the right balance of treble and bass and then set the poles to balance each string and it'll seem like the guitar itself will come to life..
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose
                              The C5 is really fine tuneable. In my Explorer, if I run it as close to the strings as I do some pickups ( for maximum punch) the c5 actually looses some. You have to back it down some to let it "air" out. I think it doesnt sustain as free when its too close. Drop it down alittle and it sustains for ever, the harmonics improve and overall tone comes to life. Balance the ends for the right balance of treble and bass and then set the poles to balance each string and it'll seem like the guitar itself will come to life..
                              im extremly happy with the tone im getting with the C5 in my les paul, but it sounds like ill have to give this a shot, god hates a coward.

i think the C5 sounds better with bassier woods like mahagony (spelling). i had one in a basswood guitar before.. it was a bit thin, i guess it all depends on preference

Comment

Working...
                              X