C5 Scooped mids?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C5 Scooped mids?!?

I read somewhre on this forum that the c5 has almosty scopped liek mids?apoossing to the JB whihc has plentiful of mids. would scooped mids sound like thrash metal??? I was told it sounds similiar to the BB in LP standrads these days but i have no idea now.
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: C5 Scooped mids?!?

Both the C5 and JB have scooped mids to a certain extent but with different tonal characteristics. The C5 has more pronounced lower mids while the JB has more pronounced upper mids, giving the impression that it has more overall mids than the C5 (does that make sense !??)
    The C5 is a very versatile pu, which can cover a wide spectrum of styles. If you use enough gain with the mids eq'd out, then any pickup can do 'thrash' metal.
    GUITARS
    STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
    AMPS
    Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
      I read somewhre on this forum that the c5 has almosty scopped liek mids?apoossing to the JB whihc has plentiful of mids. would scooped mids sound like thrash metal??? I was told it sounds similiar to the BB in LP standrads these days but i have no idea now.
      I asked this myself https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=4306
      I am very concerned that the dip in the mids may make my guitar(RG 2570) sound thin?
      all i know is that my guitar is basswood which is a warm,midrangey wood like alder or poplar but one guy here posted he did not like the C 5 in a mahogany RG which worries me since mahogany is warmer than basswood!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker35
        Both the C5 and JB have scooped mids to a certain extent but with different tonal characteristics. The C5 has more pronounced lower mids while the JB has more pronounced upper mids, giving the impression that it has more overall mids than the C5 (does that make sense !??)
        The C5 is a very versatile pu, which can cover a wide spectrum of styles. If you use enough gain with the mids eq'd out, then any pickup can do 'thrash' metal.
        The JB does not have scooped mids at ALL. The pickup is voiced in the mids with a peak in the upper mids.

The C5 on the other hand is totally scooped. I hear no pronounced midrange at all to these ears. Mostly bass and treble.

They are totally different pickups with entirely different voices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X