Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pup's for a wolfgang

Hi!!!!!
    I know that this has already been asked but here it goes again......what is the best match pup's for a wolfgang special??????? I'm really stuck between a jb a sd a dd and a dc
    thx

Update it seems that a c-5 and cc are too mid range I need big highs
    Last edited by LyMob; 04-27-2004, 08:56 AM.
    Guitars:
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde w/ ZW emg set
    Peavey Wolfgang QT w/ SD scremin' demon in bridge
    Jackson Soloist 3 w/ Jb in bridge
    Ibanez 2570ex vst With tone zone
    2x Ada mp1 preamp
    2x Marshall '68 plexi super lead heads
    Marshall Jcm 800 100 head
    Mesa Boogie triple rectifier head
    Soldano Slo-100 Head
    Combos:
    Marshall Jcm 2000 tsl 602 tube amp

Re: Best pup's for a wolfgang

Have you considered a C-5? That's quite a popular pup in the Wolfgang, along with the CC.

Comment

Originally posted by LyMob
      Hi!!!!!
      I know that this has already been asked but here it goes again......what is the best match pup's for a wolfgang special??????? I'm really stuck between a jb a sd a dd and a dc
      thx

Update it seems that a c-5 and cc are too mid range I need big highs
      first off what is it about the stock EVH pups you do not like?

Comment

The original pup's have too much of a sparkling sound.....and they are not warm at all.
        Guitars:
        Epiphone Zakk Wylde w/ ZW emg set
        Peavey Wolfgang QT w/ SD scremin' demon in bridge
        Jackson Soloist 3 w/ Jb in bridge
        Ibanez 2570ex vst With tone zone
        2x Ada mp1 preamp
        2x Marshall '68 plexi super lead heads
        Marshall Jcm 800 100 head
        Mesa Boogie triple rectifier head
        Soldano Slo-100 Head
        Combos:
        Marshall Jcm 2000 tsl 602 tube amp

Comment

Originally posted by LyMob
          The original pup's have too much of a sparkling sound.....and they are not warm at all.
          well i agree that the bridge one has PRESENCE out the wahzoooo!

but the neck is fat,warm,and still has a cool single coil like bite to it?
          anyway most i know of that own a wolf really love the dimarzio air zone and air norton combo and maybe you can check into that?

Comment

Hmm I have changed the bridge again....the 59 went back and I am keeping the APH-1 in the neck..love that pu there.
            Sooner or later I'll get some A2 equipped pu in it, EVH Seth APH-1 take your pick...and I hope that I can get my hands on an A2 magnetbar for my 59b.

Comment

well if you are looking for a warm big bottom end with big highs, that sounds like a C5 to me. I have one in my PRS and it is a great medium-high output pup with scooped mids. It really is like a PAF on steroids. The JB is going to have even more high end, but it won't have much warmth on the bottom. I had a guitar for a while with a JB that I put an AII magnet it. that gave it more warmth, and brought some of the high end under control. I haven't ever used or even heard a Custom, but that might be another one to look into. As a MM Axis owner, I can identify with the tone inherent in both the wolfie and the axis. You know, there is something about the woods used, the shape, the weight of the guitars that does produce certain inherent tones. My experience with the wolfie and the axis really made me think that they needed a C5 to get more bass in the tone.

As far as neck is concerned, it would be helpful to hear what kind of tone you would like out of it and how much gain you want. I think that it would be cool to have something like a PG in the neck or maybe if you feel that you really need some more bass and crispness the 59. Both of those aren't super high output pups though, so you do have a sacrifice if you need screaming leads to come out of that spot.
              Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Working...
              X