banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JB + 59n + superswitch wiring help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB + 59n + superswitch wiring help please!

I still haven't forgotten. Just got back from a business trip today.
    I'll post something in the morning.

Comment

Cheers Artie, i'm not trying to hassle you, just getting a bit excited that someone may be able to help me :-)

Comment

Not a "hassle" at all Flash. I've just gotten a little behind in my drawings.

The fact that a "new" guitar, that I bought on eBay, was waiting for me when I got home, doesn't help either . . .

Comment

I had a VERY similar config that was ditched in favor of my currnet config - I drew up the diagrams, I'll see if I can find em.

the config at that time was:
          1. Neck series
          2. Neck parrallel
          3. Mid
          4. Neck + Bridge (inner coils IIRC)
          5. Bridge series
          Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
          Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
          Carl Martin Rock Drive
          ISP Decimator
          BOSS DD-3
          Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Jono L...Whats IIRC?
            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
              Jono L...Whats IIRC?
              "If I Recall Correctly" . . . I think.

Comment

Meh, Im stuck.

All positions shoudl work, besides position 4 (inner coils). Can't think of a way as of now to get the coil tap wires to hot or ground

Anybody got a way around it?
                Last edited by Jono_L; 05-16-2004, 12:10 AM.
                Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
                Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
                Carl Martin Rock Drive
                ISP Decimator
                BOSS DD-3
                Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

In post 9 I didn't IIRC correctly I should have said 6 pole.

Back in '77 I wired my LP with a 4 pole 6 position CTS rotary switch with 2 conductor PUs. I later set the stop to 5 positions and rewired without parallel out of phase. Loved series in phase but no other position could keep up volume wise. So in '88 I bought the switch wafers and converted the shaft to 6 pole 4 pos.

Combos are:
                  1) Neck coils series
                  2) Neck north Bridge south series
                  3) Bridge coils series
                  4) All coils series Bridge reversed polarity for out of phase.

Volume is balanced fairly well in all positions.

It probably took me 10 hrs to come up with the hand drawn diagram. I could scan it, but you'd need a 6 pole sw. I think what Flash wants will require 6 poles and the super switch doesn't provide for adding poles (or changing the number of positions) like the CTS rotary.

Flash I know I said Artie would have you covered but now that I thought about it a little more I'm not sure you can have your requested combinations with just a super switch by itself.

You could use Super Sw with a push pull or sw for front PU (opens up a lot of combinations but…I know man…sometimes you'll have to hit 2 switches to get to a sound) like Frankencat said*, or treat your neck PU as the neck and mid of a strat and the bridge PU as a single PU and any 3 PU Super Sw diagram works.

*A 4 pole 6 position rotary gives you
                  1) Both series
                  2) Neck
                  3) Both par
                  4) Both par out of phase
                  5) Bridge
                  6) Both series out of phase

You'd have to give up one of those combos on the Super Sw but adding two push pulls gives you 18 options and two on/on/on toggles gives you 26.

I think you already knew that...I'm under the impression that you have BTDT and know exactly what you want.
                  Last edited by Lightning; 05-17-2004, 03:44 PM.
                  Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
                    Flash I know I said Artie would have you covered but now that I thought about it a little more I'm not sure you can have your requested combinations with just a super switch by itself.
                    Yeah, this is why its taking me so long. I've doodled up a couple things that are close, but I don't like them. I'm going to mess with this some more in the morning, and hopefully get something that makes practical sense.

Hang in there Flash, we'll get this!

Comment

Thanks Artie. Is it the coil from each pick up that's causing the problem? If so the bridge pick up in parallel would be ok for that position

Comment

by the way thanks to you all for trying to help esp. artie, lightning and jono I don't really know what you are on about with the "4 pole" type of thing. (I'm a very simple man :-) ) but thanks anyway
                        cheers guys :-)

Comment

Flash, what you are looking for is actually how the Ibanez RG421/321 is wired, with the exception of having the Series humbuckers in position 3. here is the diagram:

hope this helps.

also, i think you can buy that exact switch from ibanez.
                          -Greg

Guitars:
                          2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                          2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                          2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                          Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01
                            Flash, what you are looking for is actually how the Ibanez RG421/321 is wired, with the exception of having the Series humbuckers in position 3. here is the diagram:

hope this helps.

also, i think you can buy that exact switch from ibanez.
                            WARNING ... that's not a normal 5 way switch ... you'll need to purchase it if you intend to do it that way.
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
                              Thanks Artie. Is it the coil from each pick up that's causing the problem? If so the bridge pick up in parallel would be ok for that position
                              Actually you can get away with five poles, there is just that one connection that is being a pain ( It still might be possible to do it with 4 poles, I'm to busy to muck with it right now though)...
                              I've got two versions of something that Steve Blucher came up with one using DMZ's offset 4P5T lever switches,( although it's not listed on their site), I reengineered it for the super switch, and came up with two versions of it ( a stratish ,and a teleish version) ... it requires that you either you flip the magnet on the neck pup, or rotate the pup 180 degress (adjustable poles towards the bridge), and then swap the neck pup leads around. I've got them drawn up per DiMarzio colour code. The stratish one is the one I think you want ... you get 1) neck series humbucker, 2) neck parallel humbucker, 3) inner series coils, 4) inner parallel coils, 5) bridge series humbucker ... that might be what you're looking for ....FWIW, two humbuckers in parallel hooked in parallel is kinda a lack lustre, non-personality type of tone (IMHO). It's all personal taste but, I've just never found that it *speaks well*.
                              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                                ....FWIW, two humbuckers in parallel hooked in parallel is kinda a lack lustre, non-personality type of tone (IMHO). It's all personal taste but, I've just never found that it *speaks well*.
                                I'm glad that you said that, because thats where I'm hitting a snag. I think I can do this all, except that position. If, on the other hand, you didn't mind having pos #3 being the conventional neck/bridge in humbucking mode, parallel to each other, this will work fairly easily.

Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X