banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JB + 59n + superswitch wiring help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB + 59n + superswitch wiring help please!

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    I'm glad that you said that, because thats where I'm hitting a snag. I think I can do this all, except that position. If, on the other hand, you didn't mind having pos #3 being the conventional neck/bridge in humbucking mode, parallel to each other, this will work fairly easily.

Let me know.
    I wouldn't do that as I find that position to be as unattractive as the other ... that's me though, Flash may like that particular tone though ... Have to wait and see what he thinks.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Whatever you thinks guys, i'm easy. as long as I have neck series, neck parallel, and bridge series, I can do any thing for positions 3 & 4. I just thought of the two humbuckers in parallel fo position 3 mainly due to the fact that I rarely use the 2 humbuckers together in series. But if you guys say it sounds a bit bland, well i'll leave those 2 positions to whatever you guys think sound good and usable :-)

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot the teleish version I have is as follows:
        1) Neck series humbucker, 2) Parallel outside coils, 3) Series outside coils,
        4) Bridge parallel humbucker, 5) Bridge series humbucker ... like the *stratish* version all positions are in phase and hum-cancelling of course. Again these may offer him something close,plus I never did understand exactly what he meant by *n + b* stratty sound ... ah, maybe teleie.
        Didn't specify inner coils, outer coil, or one of each, and if so which one for which pup. Let me know Artie if you breech that all parallel problem.

Comment

oops sorry, i'm my original post I meant neck and middle stratty sound :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
            oops sorry, i'm my original post I meant neck and middle stratty sound :-)
            There really isn't an equal to that, maybe the neck humbucker in parallel, or perhaps the bridge inner coil in parallel with the neck outer coil ... neither one really, but that's as close as you can get to a strat neck /P/ middle type sound.

Comment

Flash where's the super sw wiring diagrams...could you post some links?
              Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Hi Lightning, I don't have any wiring diagram yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
                  Flash where's the super sw wiring diagrams...could you post some links?
                  If you're asking how the superswitch is laid out you can find a layout at
                  www.stewmac.com under their free info section.

Comment

Would it help if you used a push/pull pot for the series/parallel then just worried about the splits and Pickup combos just a thought
                    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
                    Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
                    Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
                    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

I just want any switching to be done with the 5way, without need for any push-pull pots if possible, and as I said earlier, i'm not really too bothered if I can't get single coils from each pickup :-)

Comment

Hey.. I'm not sure if this will help but they have a whole bunch of guitar wiring schematics and other cool stuff here:

my favorite pickup confiig for my 5-way selector H/s/h is...

I really hope this helps.. i know what it's like to search badly for something and you start to get uninspired about things, wich should never happen, keep rockin!

Comment

Flash goto Stew Mac and look at the P Mega switch:

1 Bridge pickup
                          2 Inner pickup coils, parallel
                          3 Outer coils, series
                          4 Outer coils, parallel
                          5 Neck pickup

This is the PRS rotory config on a lever switch. Designed to provide the above listed combos. Humbucking cross the board and volume balenced. PRS himself told me that this was better than the way I wired mine (he explaned that his was more volume balenced across the switch). Who's that PRS guy...Mine's very close (more balenced than PRS) to balenced and I like the non Gibson tones better than PRS but mine requires 6 poles. The super only has 4 (but they are full time poles). The P mega switch is 6 broken poles (available for switching only part time) which inhibits creative use of the switch but provides ease of installition with the above listed PRS pickup combos.

Also look at the other Mega switches. Think about your neck pickup as a strat neck an mid and your bridge as one pickup and see if one of those lights you up.
                          Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

There is a lot of 4 pole 5 pos wiring diagrams here.

One I liked better that the PRS and with a standard 4P (super sw)
                            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
                              Flash goto Stew Mac and look at the P Mega switch .......................................
                              The P megaswitch is really a 2 pole switch ( not a 6 pole )with multiple shared throws that vary according to the design.
                              One pole is used for the pup selection, and the other for the tap lines, it's certainly a different breed. However what you see as limiting creatively is not so, as it does allow for other options that cannot be obtained with other switch types, kinda more of a pro and con issue.
                              Cool thing that I love about them is that they come apart, and allow you to etch your own pcb boards to replace them with customized settings ...
                              (I didn't say that it wasn't labour intensive, but you can do it).
                              Also, they are made extremely well! A further note ... the PRS style switching that Schaller uses is incorrect literally ...They have the outer coils in series, when it should be the inner coils in series, they may have done this to get around a conflict with PRS on this matter (not sure), PRS has changed it's wiring scheme a few times over the years (referring to the rotary switch), so they may be a fourth newer scheme (I'd have to check with J.C. at PRS on it). Or it could be a by-product of the middle split tones on the MaCarty models (not sure if they are inners or outers). The issue only matters if you don't like it, and/or want the other tone ... It does give a more Neck & Bridge HB type tone (slightly closer to a LP type middle position) which so many seem to like. JSYKIYDA

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
                                I just want any switching to be done with the 5way, without need for any push-pull pots if possible, and as I said earlier, i'm not really too bothered if I can't get single coils from each pickup :-)
                                Flash, check your PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X