banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have thoughts on the Rio Grande BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone have thoughts on the Rio Grande BBQ?

Originally posted by Thames
    Scott, yes, the 21-day exchange policy is great, but that'd turn me "exclusively" to Duncan pickups.

And sorry, but I dont think Duncan makes any pickups (std production) that equals the Rio Grande BBQ.

Papersoul, IMO, the BBQ reminds me of a JB, but with more balls and thickness. It definitely sounds "Texas", but works better with OD/Dist (that's where they really shine). BTW, I think they are a perfect match for a SG.
    Good description of the BBQ! I replaced two JBs with BBQs and was happy. I think the JB would work well in my Les Paul but right now I have the BBQ in the LP Standard. I tend to like thick bass and mids and more balls because I use a Line 6 Vetta for gigs.....so I like the extra the BBQ gives for the digital amp. I might feel different if I gigged with tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
      I would stick with the Wolf bridge ow maybe a Dimarzio Air Zone for a little less output and maybe a more vintage vibe. I did find it a little bright and harsh compared to my deans, hamers, and gibson.

That said, another nice p'up would be the Duncan Blues Scaracino(SP?) model! I haven't used it but it came highly recommended for the Wolf. Keep in mind....the Wolf bridge bucker is hot but it sits far from the strings. Anyone know the exact distance? with it that hot, I probably wouldn't want it hotter and you have to consider that when going with a lower output p'up in that guitar. You could however raise the p'up with cut up popsickle sticks.
      I am wondering everyone says it is hot, but it is the same as a C 5(14.4K alnico 5 magnet)? it even uses the same wire gauge as a C 5 according to my reasearch?

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
        I am wondering everyone says it is hot, but it is the same as a C 5(14.4K alnico 5 magnet)? it even uses the same wire gauge as a C 5 according to my reasearch?
        Which pickup are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          with the 21 day exchange policy, why would anyone want to try any other guy's pups? if you can't get the tone with Duncan pups, the tone is not to be had.

just my dos centavos
          Yeah, I tend to agree with Scott. There's nothing to fear by buying a Duncan.
          With the Exchange policy, it makes your purchase safe. Also, because of the community we have of Duncan fans, even a used pickup can be sold here within a week. I've bought a few pickups, tried them and realized it wasn't my sound, then swapped them for one's that 'are' my sound.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            With the Exchange policy, it makes your purchase safe. Also, because of the community we have of Duncan fans, even a used pickup can be sold here within a week. I've bought a few pickups, tried them and realized it wasn't my sound, then swapped them for one's that 'are' my sound.
            But not everyones' sound can be found with Duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Oh yes, I agree with that, nothing to fear by buying a Duncan, but ... there's still other manufacturers with different tones, but as good as Duncan.

And I dont agree Dimarzio being lower grade than Duncan, although I'm not a Dimarzio user.
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Which pickup are you talking about?
                the wolfgang bridge, you and others have said it is a hot pup, but i find it to have a good output but it is still clean. every note in a chord is distinict

Comment

But not everyones' sound can be found with Duncan.
                  i guess that is why not everybody i listen to on disc uses duncans
                  most of the guys i like, i would say over 50% of them use dimarzio's.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                    the wolfgang bridge, you and others have said it is a hot pup, but i find it to have a good output but it is still clean. every note in a chord is distinict
                    Yes, the Peavey is crisp and clear, but I sometimes like a warmer and rounder tone.

Comment

Yes, the Peavey is crisp and clear, but I sometimes like a warmer and rounder tone.
                      I find myself going through phases one day i want my tone to be real
                      clear and crisp and the next day wish it had more fat?
                      the wolfgang is a fat pickup but i know that there are fatter ones like the air zone or bbq.
                      I really dont want to wind up trying 15 pups only to come back to the wolfgang in the end!
                      I got real curious yesterday and wound up going to the music store to grab a
                      C 5 i get there and they do not have one,but they do have a JB and i thought
                      hey this is the most popular duncan ever and it has to be great!
                      well it was good but it had more presence/treble less bass than the wolfgang and i was not blown away at all with it?
                      so i am taking it back for exchange or store credit. i am not saying after trying the JB that there is no duncan that would floor me,but i aint to sure i want to go through 3 or 4 to find out!
                      all the signs are tellin me just stay with the wolfgang pups

Comment

I'd say try a C-5, BBQ, or Air Zone.

Comment

I'd say try a C-5, BBQ, or Air Zone.
                          I may skip getting store credit on the JB and try a C5,but i am not shellin out no mo cash for pups

Comment

I guess my tongue wasn't as firmly planted in my cheek as I thought.... hmm...

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                            X