Giving my MIA Strat a HH makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving my MIA Strat a HH makeover

I originally planned on getting a HSH style pickguard for more versatility, but my dad went ahead and already ordered me a HH and the PUPs stink, the neck is muddier than a swamp, and the bridge is wimpy and a little too bright for my liking. I really want a sweet neck pos. that's clear and bluesy sounding @ the same time, I think going from my single coils to humbuckers I'll be very critical on clarity & string balance from E to e, I'm thinking the APH-II(n) sounds great for me, but I don't know what to get for the bridge, right away I think an APH-II(b) would do it but I still want to be able to some heavier stuff too like some ACDC & Van Halen without loosing my B.B King sound, I was thinking maybe a 59b but then I don't really want a bright sound that alnico 5 generates, Seth Lover would be good too, but It'd look goofy having exposed coils and then a cover (I could remove it easily though right?). Now I wonder if a CC would be Overkill for blues, the pearly gates is so damn expensive though so I'm kinda discouraged by it even though it seems like what I need. Any help would be useful thanks -bito
    Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
    JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
    Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
    Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby
    Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Re: Giving my MIA Strat a HH makeover

How bout a C-5 for blues & rock?, forgot to mention that
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

A '59 isn't a bright pickup at all, it's got a warm, full, ever so slightly scooped sound to it. While it's not overly dark, you'd be more likely to complain of its muddiness than it's brightness. I suggest you listen to a bunch of soundclips and decide what you like based on what you hear, here are some sites with alot of soundclips

Comment

I just looked @ the A2 proHB and I didn't see a TB model, no APH2 for bridge then huh bummer
        Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

yeah I know it wouldn't be bright like it sucks bright (plus after playing with a typical strat bridge pup.... it'd be anything but bright) but I would probably like a PG, CC, or SL better imo. and the 59 is cheap too good idea, (duncans seem to add 8$ for a a2 mag equipped HB, then another 10$ for 4-conducter wiring maybe thats why the PG is so much more expensive?)
          Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

I'd never noticed that before, but that actually makes sense, since A II's are more expensive, but then again, that logic would lead you to think that the Ceramic's would be less expensive...

Just incase you didn't know about this site, http://www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com ,
            has very cheap prices on SD's, the person who runs that site charges negative shipping costs, so a $60 humbucker + shipping makes it like $55 shipped to your house.

And why not just experiment a bit? Another thing you might not know, is that SD has a 21 day "No Suck" garuntee, which bassically says you can return any pickup you get if you don't like how it sounds within 21 days and get credit for it's full price towards a new SD pickup.

Comment

My PGn pickup, which I use in the MIA Strat in my avatar, sounds great. I think you'd like it for what you want to do.

A buddy of mine had an A2 pro in the neck of his Les and it sounded great, as well.

I don't necessarily think that you'd be unable to do AC/DC with the A2 pro in the bridge...

Farkus
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
              X