Replacement pups for Ibanez SA160?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement pups for Ibanez SA160?

I recently bought an Ibanez model SA160 electric, cheap but nice, IMO I knew before buying I would be replacing the pups so now need some advice on what is compatible. The configuration is Hum Bridge, Single Middle and Single Neck. I have read through all the different styles and asked the Tone Wiz what he thinks too!!. What I have come up with is STk-S1 Neck, STK-S2 Middle and SH-4 JB for the Humbucker. The style I play is Jazz/Blues/Fusion and I need them to be quiet for home recording.

I would really appreciate if anyone else has replaced pups on this Ibanez model or if what I have chosen is really suitable from a tech perspective.

Any comments would be welcome! especially before I spend all my $s.

Cheers

Re: Replacement pups for Ibanez SA160?

if you want Jazz and blues, maybe you should put a cool rails in the neck, because it works well for the Jazz I've played.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses ;-) The guitar has a 5 position combination switch and that will be plenty for what I do, so no coil splitting at the moment.

I was tossing around the rails option but went for the standard classic strat sound instead. I'll give it some more thought and listen to some sound samples though.

Thanks

Comment

greetings fellow Ibanez player... i'd be getting my SA260 soon, nothing too different from your 160... been eyeing it for some time already...

i kinda like the default single coils in this model & they are for keeps. the bridge humbucker will have to go though. i have plans for a JB initially but i decided to opt for the APII instead. i tried a friend's epiphone equipped with this unit recently & liked how the pickup's performance under high gain- it has a polished midrange & react well under restrained volume.

on another note, i have a Lil '59 in the neck of my S-S-H RG560 & it's immaculate, wouldn't dream of anything else. however, if you wish to keep your single coils true to their form, then duncan has lots of superb units to choose from.
        Psychic Horns

Comment

Hey man, I have that same guitar, but mine is the SA160QM (Quilted Maple top). I currently have 2 DiMarzio Blue Velvets for neck/mid and a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. I REALLY love the tone because the bridge gets me a fat metal shred sound and the single-coils give me a really sweet vintage tone. If you go with a combo like this, you have to be ready for the jump in output from single to humbucker. I like the single coils to be used for cleaner parts so my bridge really pulverizes and whatnot

First, I had a Seymour Duncan JB in there, but I didn't like it. I thought it sounded a bit shrill (my amp settings are VERY bright). I think you should pick pickups based on your amp settings. Let it compliment your EQ. Duncan has a lot of treble heavy pups and DiMarzio tends to have the more mid/bass boosted pups.

Since you seem to like cleaner/more classic styles, maybe go with a set of Duncans.
          Watch My Videos
          Photography
          www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
          "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Working...
          X