tom anderson pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tom anderson pups

does anyone know what magnets are used in the tom anderson h3+ bridge pup? and how does it compare to a jb ?

Re: tom anderson pups

i would assume that its a ceramic but im not sure, havent played one in a while

Comment

I have an H3/H1 set in my Les Paul and I don't care for them. Smooth, and full, but no character. I'm going to try something else, just not sure what.

Comment

TattoedCarrot,

sorry to hear that - I remember reading your posts on those pups on this forum and the HC forum.

I am sure gonna steer clear of em and think really hard about the Custom bridge.

hope you find the right pup with more character

Comment

Everytime I pick up a Tom Anderson, I want so badly to love it, but can only bring myself to 'like' it. Same with their pickups...I can't put my finger on it, I just know
          Duncans sound better, and look better for that matter.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
            I have an H3/H1 set in my Les Paul and I don't care for them. Smooth, and full, but no character. I'm going to try something else, just not sure what.
            have you tried a jb before ? if so how did it compare to the anderson ?

i really like the tone billy howerdell of a perfect circle gets and i was told he uses these pickups. he uses them in a les paul through a jmp 1 preamp and his tone sounds sick. i just cant find out if he uses the h3+ or h2+ in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by parabola
              have you tried a jb before ? if so how did it compare to the anderson ?

i really like the tone billy howerdell of a perfect circle gets and i was told he uses these pickups. he uses them in a les paul through a jmp 1 preamp and his tone sounds sick. i just cant find out if he uses the h3+ or h2+ in the bridge.
              I've read he uses the H3+. I have used a JB (in a different style guitar) and they are similar with the H3 being bassier and 2 dimensional compared to the more 3D JB. Billy's tone is pretty heavily processed. For that the Andersons would be good I think, and they are very quiet for passives. But I'm more a guitar > amp guy and they just don't do it for me. They're not bad at all, just not was I'm looking for.

Comment

thanks for the info.
                i actually contacted tom and asked about the pups billy uses because i was getting different responses on other boards. anyways tom said it was interesting that i should ask because billy just ordered a h3+, but then called the next day and changed his order to an h2+. he did that because originally he thought he had an h3+ in there but then realized it was in h2+.
                anyways, after you mentioned the processing thing, i think theyd be worth a shot for me because i play through a digitech 2101 preamp/effects unit, and it does process the sound quite a bit.

Comment

I love his tone also and I think I get pretty close with the Rio Grande BBQ in my Les Paul. I was using the JB in other guitars but I missed a fat bass even in a big mahogany guitar so I have been using the BBQ for a while. Very 3-D and full, punchy and fat. I like it better than my C-5 or JB at this point. But, I think the C-5 or Custom will do better in one of my darker guitars.

I think once you move into the boutique pickup makers and the Duncan Custom shop, wou'll see a difference in the pickups, but for the average person I think we can find our tone in the production Duncans, Dimarzios, and Rios, etc. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Working...
                  X