New hum problem... wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hum problem... wondering

In my Hamer Strat clone - I recently installed a Vintage Rail in the neck position - I have a Hot Rail in the bridge position. I have the original single coil in the middle position. Last night I played in a new venue. I noticed a hum in the middle position (somewhat reduced in positions 2 and 4 - but still there). I hadn't noticed this before - I'm assuming I'm picking up RF from the lights or something.

Should I consider switching the wires on the Vintage Rail? I really don't know much about this, but I think I recall reading about this as an option.

Someday I want to put a Cool Rail in the middle position, but I am not financially ready for this yet.

The only solution I had at the time was to avoid this position.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    RIck
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: New hum problem... wondering

single coils hum, thats just the way it is. when you are in position 2 or 4 with two single coils that are rw/rp from each other it will be quiet. the only way to get humcancellling with your current setup is split the hot rails in pos 4 so it acts like a single coil and will cancel hum. the vintage rail is hardwired in parallel so im not sure if you can do anything about pos 2. once you get the cool rails youll be quiet in all positions

Comment

Re: New hum problem... wondering

Thanks, Jeremy... i was afraid of that... I was wondering why I didn't notice this before? Just the RF dirty room? Or were the 2 singles wired differently...

Anyway, deep down, I know you're right... need save up for the cool rail

Thanks,
      Rick
      Rick
      (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
      Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

Working...
      X