Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Jazzmaster

Hey everyone,

Just dug out my MIJ RI Jazzmaster and realized why I stopped playing it years ago-it's way to shrill. Some research showed that the reason was these reissues essentially had Squier strat pickups, not the true Jazzmaster pus. My search began and ended with Seymour Duncan.

My question is what are the main differences between the Vintage Jazzmaster and the Antiquity Jazzmaster? I'm trying to decide between the two and need a little more info on these, esp the Ant. Also, what is the deal with the Antiquity II? I was told it had more treble. Less demagnetized perhaps?
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Re: Pickups for Jazzmaster

Antiquity pickups are Alnico 2, Antiquity II's are Alnico 5, AFAIK.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

curly is right, the A5 will give you more treble response but also a tighter bottom end. I like both sets of antiquities i have and i can't see why the jazzmaster pickups would be any different. The antiquities are great pickups and well worth the extra cash.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info. Now I need to decide on Alnico 2 or 5...decisions decisions

Comment

I pulled out the pups off my 1962 (Real 1962 not a RI) and replaced them with Z90's This guitar also has a modified bridge set-up and is extremely capable of rocking with Les Pauls and leaving the LP owner's sick with green envy.
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman
            I pulled out the pups off my 1962 (Real 1962 not a RI) and replaced them with Z90's This guitar also has a modified bridge set-up and is extremely capable of rocking with Les Pauls and leaving the LP owner's sick with green envy.
            Haha, I love it! However, I have a Les Paul, and a bunch of other humbucker equipped guitars. My Jazzmaster is one of the only single coil guitars I have, so I want it sounding like a Jazzmaster should. But is that with an A2 or and A5? I'm going to have fun finding out!

Comment

hey this is kinda off topic i'm just curious...

when you have a guitar like that with 2 single coils, does one have to be reverse wound for hum cancelling in the middle position? ex. would you have to have a middle position strat pickup and a neck pos strat pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by Cory_Dylan
                hey this is kinda off topic i'm just curious...

when you have a guitar like that with 2 single coils, does one have to be reverse wound for hum cancelling in the middle position? ex. would you have to have a middle position strat pickup and a neck pos strat pickup?
                Jazzmaster pickups are wound with different polarities. Neck is north, bridge is south. Together they are hum cancelling

Comment

i just ordered a set of antiquity texas hots with custom bridge and a set of antiquity II surfers with the bridge pup cause i couldnt decide. i know i have problems

Comment

Thanks for the help everybody, i ordered a set of Antiquity II yesterday. I read on the Fender Forum that the a5 give a more traditional Jazzmaster sound, so let's hope for the best!

Comment

Thanks for the help everybody, i ordered a set of Antiquity II yesterday. I read on the Fender Forum that the a5 give a more traditional Jazzmaster sound, so let's hope for the best!
                      Superpete, how do you like the Antiquity II?

How much did you get them for?

Thanks! I'm here with the same problem you had. I have to choose between SD Antiquity I, II and the Vintage ones.

Cheers!
                      YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X