Coil Split or Parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Split or Parallel

OK, I finally decided to buy 2 on-on switches. I will use one with my Custom and one with my Pearly Gates (coming soon from Black Rose Cusatoms - special thanks to Surgeon for telling me I could buy a PG for the price they sell the 59 here in Canada! ).

What would you suggest, coil split or parallel? Is there a big difference in sound? I tried coil split through Spin-a-Split... sounds great but no hum cancelling, so it's rather noisy.

Is the parallel sound as good as coil split?

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: Coil Split or Parallel

Originally posted by Sly_D
    OK, I finally decided to buy 2 on-on switches. I will use one with my Custom and one with my Pearly Gates (coming soon from Black Rose Cusatoms - special thanks to Surgeon for telling me I could buy a PG for the price they sell the 59 here in Canada! ).

What would you suggest, coil split or parallel? Is there a big difference in sound? I tried coil split through Spin-a-Split... sounds great but no hum cancelling, so it's rather noisy.

Is the parallel sound as good as coil split?
    Coil split has less volume and an overall thinner,brighter tone with normal single coil hum...Has more output and fullness than the parallel position..

Parallel...About 1/3 less output compared to series...Less output compared to split also,no hum,thin sounding,very clean and articulate also...I seem to hear a bit more mids in parallel than I do with the split position....

I always use a DPDT on/on/on and wire my switch for series/split/parallel so I can have my cake and eat it too..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Since Single coil use only one side of the on-on switch, could I actually use only one switch for both pups and use one side of the switch per pup? Like this:

x x
      o o
      o o
      | |___> This one for the bridge
      |
      |_ __> this one for the neck

It would be too good to be true...

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
      Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_D
        Since Single coil use only one side of the on-on switch, could I actually use only one switch for both pups and use one side of the switch per pup? Like this:

x x
        o o
        o o
        | |___> This one for the bridge
        |
        |_ __> this one for the neck

It would be too good to be true...

Check out this: LINK

Look around their site, they have lots of good wiring diagrams for different situations...

Comment

Working...
        X