banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Humbucker in a Carvin pickguard???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Humbucker in a Carvin pickguard???

I have a Carvin Bolt guitar that has a H-S-S pickguard. The humbucker location in the pickguard has 3 mounting holes instead of the standard 2 holes; 2 holes on the upper side and 1 on the lower side. The SD humbucker I ordered is a Custom-5 trembucker which appears to have 3 mounting holes on each side of the pickup (at least it appears that way in pictures on the SD site).

Will this pickup mount in this pickguard, or do I need to get a Fender H-S-S pickguard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Duncan Humbucker in a Carvin pickguard???

I had trouble with SD's mounting in my Carvin, in my avatar. The replacement pickup rings hole pattern was different than the Carvins.
    I took a look at the Carvin pups I took out, and matched it up with a Duncan, and the holes don't line up. The holes on the Duncans are slightly further apart.
    I would suspect you might run into problems. You might elongate the hole on the pickgaurd, or get the Fender pickgaurd, but will the Fender pickgaurd line up with the hole pattern on the Carvin?

Either way, might be some drilling involved.

And the threads(mounting/height adjust) on the Carvin pickups are different than on the Duncans.

As far as the number of mounting screws, you really only need one centered top and one centered bottom. That's just something that Carvin does to make it harder to replace their pups.

I don't know why Carvin makes it difficult to replace their pups? Well, I do, but that's a different rant.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Sykes; 05-01-2004, 05:11 PM.
    Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
    Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

Do the Duncan Trembuckers actually have 3 threaded holes on each side of the pickup (as is shown in pics on the site)?

Comment

Originally posted by momitchell
        Do the Duncan Trembuckers actually have 3 threaded holes on each side of the pickup (as is shown in pics on the site)?
        Yes. They also come with a mounting ring.
        Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
        Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X