Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please!!! With selecting new pickups

Hello there,

I have a Hamer - Slammer series, which came with duncan designed pickups, no idea which model these are. The tone certainly isn't bad but I'd like to improve it by changing the pickups.

I'm looking for a thick full tone with plenty of clarity. I mostly play doom/sludge and metal. In the vein of bands like ISIS, Pelican, Khanate, but also like a bit of metalcore, death metal, and so forth. So I want to be able to get a nice chuggy sound as well as full open distored chords.

I've been eyeing up gibson pickups like the 500T and 496R Matched pair look good... anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good? Also can anyone suggest a pairing of ducan humbuckers for a full fat doom metal tone? Please help!

Re: Help Please!!! With selecting new pickups

Welcome to the SD Forum!!

I wouldn't buy the 500T/496R Gibson pickups if I were you. I've got a drawer full of those from when I took them out of my Les Pauls. Duncan definitely makes better pickups than those. As far as what you're playing and the sound you want, I'd recommend either a Duncan Custom/59 combination or a Duncan Distortion/Duncan Distortion combination.

Comment

Invader or Distortion bridge I would think...
      Originally posted by The Minstrel
      Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Cheers guys, thats a start! I kinda looking for the middle ground between a doom/stoner rock kinda classic vibe and full on metal. do you know Boris? That kind of tone is cool, very classic yet still heavy as hell.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
          I think SDs are better than Gibson two. But no experience with Gibsons.

Originally posted by JOLLY
          I've got a drawer full of those from when I took them out of my Les Pauls.
          ROFL
          Last edited by Marcel; 05-02-2004, 03:34 PM.
          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
          TS 7 (modded)
          Hot Rod 50+ XL
          Framus Dragon 4x12
          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

The Custom is a good compromise between vintage and metal
            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

By the custom do you mean the SH-5 or the SH-11. Maybe i could combine that with a distortion to balance it out? So does anyone rate the gibson pickups i mentioned earlier. Cause generally, Les Pauls sound really killer.

Comment

The SH-5. Both of those are bridge pickups though. For the neck, maybe a screaming demon?

Comment

Originally posted by matt_tgpg
                  By the custom do you mean the SH-5 or the SH-11. So does anyone rate the gibson pickups i mentioned earlier. Cause generally, Les Pauls sound really killer.
                  The Duncan Custom is the SH-5

Seeing as how I have a drawer full of the Gibson Pickups.....that should tell you how I rate them

Comment

Working...
                  X