wolfgang pickup to fit les paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wolfgang pickup to fit les paul?

What needs to be done to fit a wolfgang pickup into a les paul guitar or is it possible.Will the poles line up with the strings all right?
    undefinedundefinedundefinedMarshall 74" slp,Jmp-1,2-4by12 classic cabs,1-4by12 vintage cab,73"Gibson les paul,73" Fender strat,99" EVH wolfgang,01" 58 les paul historic,80's kramer,Soldano supercharger,Roctron Intellifex,Favorite guitar players are Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch,Satriani and Blues Saraceno.

Re: wolfgang pickup to fit les paul?

You're going to hate the Wolf pup in a Les Paul.

Everything about the Wolf pup that is intended to make it sound like a Paul on 'roids, is going to make it sound like a sonic Goulash of lifeless bass and crap on your guitar.

It's tight enough on the high strings, but mush on the bottom, even in the Wolf. You'll hate it. But go ahead and do it anyway, and then report back to us.

Comment

Why in the world would you want to put a Peavey pup in a Gibson when there are soooo many other pickup choices available? I would think there might be a problem with the spacing on the coil
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

You won't have any spacing problems, but keep in mind the Wolfgang pickups were designed to be directly mounted to the body. Whenever I try a new set of Duncans in my Wolfgang, I have to widen the mounting holes on the pickups to get the pickups mounted. So you may have a problem with the screws not fitting the mounting holes properly, I can't really say for sure because I never tried those pickups in another guitar. I would disagree about it being a bad idea though, if you like high output pickups, you'd probably be happy with the results.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
          I would disagree about it being a bad idea though, if you like high output pickups, you'd probably be happy with the results.

Ryan
          C'mon bro, think about it.

A p'up that sacrifices tone for output, knowing ahead of time that the guitar is "thin" sounding.

Then, put it in a fat-a** Les Paul. It's going to sound horrible. Period.

Heck, a Wolf sounds horrible through almost every amp you can test it in, save a couple.

Like I said, though, if you dig it, write back to us. We've been surprised before.

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic

A p'up that sacrifices tone for output, knowing ahead of time that the guitar is "thin" sounding.

Heck, a Wolf sounds horrible through almost every amp you can test it in, save a couple.

Like I said, though, if you dig it, write back to us. We've been surprised before.
            Oh, I don't know, I like the Wolf pups and I've run them through a few amps. They have a lot of power, but I don't think they sacrifice tone. If anything I think they have great tone. IMO, A Wolfgang can run with any guitar out there, for less money than most. It's a great value.

Comment

The Wolf is a great guitar with very good tone. I was able to get amazing clean tones on my wolf that just blew away most people who heard it. I still couldn't get into the tone in the end because I like a little more beff in the LP which I ended up buying. That said, I removed the stock BB Pros in favor of a Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                Why in the world would you want to put a Peavey pup in a Gibson when there are soooo many other pickup choices available?
                hey maybe he likes the tone of the wolfgang pups?
                I know i do and that is why i bought a set from a forum member here for my ibanez,and let me tell you they are great pups,i dont care what anyone else says. they have a solid bass without mud and cutting highs.
                I bought them because i played a wolfgang at the store and loved the tone it got,the guitar was OK but the tone of the pups knocked me out!
                in a RG ibanez they sound very balanced and aggressive but still seem to have a older tone to them??
                i play a lot of AC/DC with them and they sound great for angus riffs

believe it or not i dont care for VH or his tone,but i do like these pups and i dont see any reason they sould not sound just fine in a gibson?

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic

who made you mr know it all about tone? i know a lot of wolfgang owners that would totally disagree wit ya about this statement!
                  just cause you dont like wolfgangs does not mean they are no good

Comment

Originally posted by XXX-FACTOR
                    Oh, I don't know, I like the Wolf pups and I've run them through a few amps. They have a lot of power, but I don't think they sacrifice tone. If anything I think they have great tone. IMO, A Wolfgang can run with any guitar out there, for less money than most. It's a great value.
                    amen to this! i totally disagree with majestic who said they are just high output pups that sacrifice tone!
                    gimme a break! to me the wolfgang set has a powerful tone but they are not just power or i would not use them over others.
                    I tried a JB and that is a high output pup it had good tone and harmonics but i like the wolfgang more,it was sorta like that type of tone but the wolfgang sounded better overall.
                    oh yeah and back to this how powerful the wolfgangs are
                    after asking a million questions about them and other pups it turns out that wolfgang bridge is a 14.4K alnico 5 pup which for those curious is the same specs as a duncan C5 . now tell me how can the wolfgang be that powerful when it is the same specs as a C5?

Comment

My complaint with the Wolfgang pickups wasn't that they were so amazingly hot...they have less output than a JB. I just felt like they would work better in a slightly warmer sounding guitar. So there's no reason why a Wolfgang pickup in a Les Paul wouldn't sound good. Obviously, it's up to your ears, but my guess is that it would sound better in a Les Paul than in a Wolfgang.

Ryan
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

im not a big fan of the wolf or the pups in it but i dont think it'd sound horrible in a paul. the neck might need to be kinda low to sound best

Comment

Sounds like a fun idea to me...
                          The holes in the backplate will cause you trouble, since they are bigger than most normal pickup screws.
                          Can you tinker them to be mounted directly into the guitar?

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 pennies here. I have a few reason's why I took the stock pickups out of my Wolfgang. First, every frequency had this sharp, razor like quality to it. The high end would cut thru steel but at the same time it was thin sounding. No muscle behind the scream. I even tried it thru a few amps and got the same results. Second, there were way to many overtones going on. So many that I always sounded out of tune. You know when you're tuning a guitar by harmonics and you get that waver when it's not in tune? That's how my guitar sounded when I played on the higher register playing one note at a time! Someone here said it was an intonation problem but it was'nt because again, I'm talking playing one note, not two. Playing two notes at a time was hell. Because the pickups are bottomed out in the cavities you can't take them down, so one night I raised the bridge real high and guess what? That waver was gone. That's when I knew those pickups had to go. I'm not saying they're crap, they just did'nt get it for me.

Comment

In a "bright" guitar (let's say, an Ibanez Saber), the highs become too prominent, and in a "warm" guitar, the bass mushes out too much, IMO. I have to laugh at the responses I've seen, because this is the ONE site where I've seen halfl the Wolf owners have replaced the stock pickups! Where are you guys now?!?!?

Anyway, my prediction is that it won't sound great. I like to learn, though, so if being proved wrong is how my knowledge is gained, then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X