wolfgang pickup to fit les paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wolfgang pickup to fit les paul?

Well not go smart on you guys...but people do play differently, and what some might see as crap others can see it as something useful.
    I have replaced mine, not because I did not like them, but because I wanted that guitars(wolfgang) feel with lowoutput PAF pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
      I'll throw in my 2 pennies here. I have a few reason's why I took the stock pickups out of my Wolfgang. First, every frequency had this sharp, razor like quality to it. The high end would cut thru steel but at the same time it was thin sounding. No muscle behind the scream. I even tried it thru a few amps and got the same results. Second, there were way to many overtones going on. So many that I always sounded out of tune. You know when you're tuning a guitar by harmonics and you get that waver when it's not in tune? That's how my guitar sounded when I played on the higher register playing one note at a time! Someone here said it was an intonation problem but it was'nt because again, I'm talking playing one note, not two. Playing two notes at a time was hell. Because the pickups are bottomed out in the cavities you can't take them down, so one night I raised the bridge real high and guess what? That waver was gone. That's when I knew those pickups had to go. I'm not saying they're crap, they just did'nt get it for me.
      all i can say is that was not my experience with the wolfgangs at all.
      in my ibanez they sound very balanced with a good crisp tone that is not razor like. i guess you could say the bridge one is like a hot rodded 50's gibson pup? i heard VH always liked gibson pups? and the neck one is really nice it has a lot of clarity with a good output,reminds me of a P-90 with more muscle.
      anyway i think it comes down to opinion more than anything else but i have to admit i often scratch my head when i hear certain things said about these since i have not had that experience with them.
      maybe because i use them in a RG and not the wolfgang guitar?
      I did play a wolfgang special goldtop at the store before i bought these off a forum member and that wolfgang sounded real good,and not at all like desriptions i hear?
      back to the original question,they will fit in a gibson but you either have to use
      them directly into the wood or get bolts for a standard mounting screw to keep them mounted to a ring,that is what i did,i went to the hardware store with a dimarzio standard screw and got 4 bolts that fit the threding and i am happy

Comment

Well I have to tell you, I own a 73' strat and a 73' les paul but my favorite is my 99' wolfgang and I am going to put wolfgang pickups in the les paul to match closer to the wolfgang outputs. The wolf is my favorite but I will never get rid of my strat or paul.
        undefinedundefinedundefinedMarshall 74" slp,Jmp-1,2-4by12 classic cabs,1-4by12 vintage cab,73"Gibson les paul,73" Fender strat,99" EVH wolfgang,01" 58 les paul historic,80's kramer,Soldano supercharger,Roctron Intellifex,Favorite guitar players are Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch,Satriani and Blues Saraceno.

Comment

Originally posted by rnr5150
          Well I have to tell you, I own a 73' strat and a 73' les paul but my favorite is my 99' wolfgang and I am going to put wolfgang pickups in the les paul to match closer to the wolfgang outputs. The wolf is my favorite but I will never get rid of my strat or paul.
          rnr 5150 i sent you a PM

Comment

Guys I just have to say that I was wrong when I posted that I didn't like the wolfgangs pups sound here is why.......most people want a certain part of the eq to push through the mix.....most people want a lot of highs and a big bottom end with few mids.....well the wolfies are all evened out.....there is the same amount of bass as there is mids and highs.....what I find is that if I want a 80's sound, then just have to plug in a tubescreamer before the amps distortion if I need a more warmer and deeper sound then push in the marshall's deep switch...I realised that a screamer before the distortion emulates 99.9% the sound of a screamin demon.....dial in a little more gain and you've got a duncan distortion.....you can get whatever type of sound you want from them since the eq is very balanced, just have to put them correct amount of gain or type of distortion on your boss, digitech or whatever. The eq's and types of distortion are there for a reason don't plug your guitar directly into an amp and say the pup's suck 'cus.....all guitar players tinker with their amps and stompboxes to get the sound they want........"you gotta play like Eddie Van Halen...if you wanna sell like EVH"-Curt Mitchell

So there you got it
            Paul
            Guitars:
            Epiphone Zakk Wylde w/ ZW emg set
            Peavey Wolfgang QT w/ SD scremin' demon in bridge
            Jackson Soloist 3 w/ Jb in bridge
            Ibanez 2570ex vst With tone zone
            2x Ada mp1 preamp
            2x Marshall '68 plexi super lead heads
            Marshall Jcm 800 100 head
            Mesa Boogie triple rectifier head
            Soldano Slo-100 Head
            Combos:
            Marshall Jcm 2000 tsl 602 tube amp

Comment

They're like every other piece of gear, some guys like them, some don't. I don't have the problems with them that some of you have, so I like them. As some said earlier, what effects you use, what amp you have, how you eq and your individual style all play a part in whether they work for you or not. I change the my amp eq, for every guitar that I own. A close friend of mine taught me to do this when I first started playing, even though I have two Wolfgangs, one with a maple cap and one without, I have different eq settings for each guitar. They aren't drastically different, but different enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic
                C'mon bro, think about it.

A p'up that sacrifices tone for output, knowing ahead of time that the guitar is "thin" sounding.

Then, put it in a fat-a** Les Paul. It's going to sound horrible. Period.

Heck, a Wolf sounds horrible through almost every amp you can test it in, save a couple.

Like I said, though, if you dig it, write back to us. We've been surprised before.
                Are you on drugs? The wolfgang is the best sounding guitar i've ever played. Sounds great through my marshall JMP-1 and Mesa 50/50 and the tone completely blows away my Ibanez USA custom and my Ibanez Jem 777.

Comment

Working...
                X