No announcement yet.

humbucker for my faded sg. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbucker for my faded sg. Please help!

ok. I play is a hardcore band. I need an articulate humbucker with great palm mutes. I'm looking to get a new humbucker in the bridge of my faded sg, because the stock one doesn't do the whole palm muting chunk as well as I'd like and plus i sorta broke it. Btw, I play into a 5150II or jcm 800 2205 head through a 1960a cab. No actives please. What do you guys think? I'm curious about the gibson 500t, and the dimarzio super distortion, but I don't know how they'd sound in an sg (to dark/muddy, or too bright/trebly).What do you recommend?Duncans, Gibson, Dimarzio? thanks alot for any help.

I recommened the Duncan Custom 5.

Comment

Or a JB
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

i hear that jb's sound dark in sg's. What are the tonal characteristics of a custom 5? how is the output on it? thanks

Comment

btw, the sg is mahagony body and neck, with ebony fretboard. and 500k pots.

Comment

Can't imagine a JB being dark in an SG. Can't imagine an SG being dark.
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

my bad, people say the jb is too bright in an sg, the dimarzio super distortion is too dark.

Comment

id say the sh5 custom. very tight with good strong output and aggressive mids

Comment

Originally posted by mysafehaven
                  my bad, people say the jb is too bright in an sg, the dimarzio super distortion is too dark.
                  no, you can just roll back the volume its sounds great

Comment

how loud is the custom?

Comment

One more vote for the custom, high output, tight low-end without being dard, nice, articulate, that's what I have in the guitar in my avatar and it sounds great through my jcm-800 for hardcore..

Comment

I voted for the JB because you mentioned you wanted a pup that was " articulate ". I think the JB is just that.
                        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

mahagony body, mahagony neck? this just screams for a JB. the mahagony will tame those heights but it'll still have it's tight crunch.. but the ebony fretboard makes me think of the custom too .. but wont that one sound a bit dark? too muddy? or will the ceramic magnet negate that and it'll just stay it's ordinary kickass self?

Comment

wow, thanks for the replies guys. I think i'll check out the custom. How loud is it, compared to say...a jb? and Davey, I am wondering that too.

Comment

similar output to a jb

Comment

Working...
                              X