banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still looking for that perfect LES PAUL combo. HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to me the c5 has some of that vintage flavor that comes from having the mids pulled back a little bit. it doesnt push the amp as hard as a pup that has a big mid peak but with most amps today there is more than enough gain than you need or want for a clear tone

Comment

Virtual PAF's have gotten incredible reviews on this site before. Supposed to be one of those amazing things. My impression of the Dimarzio line is that anything with airbucker technology is supposed to be great.

Comment

Hmmmmm.

Interesting stuff, guys....

I'm about set on a PG for the neck. But I'm not sure; it would be a lot more cost-effective to exercise the 30-day exchange policy. Or even maybe give the pickups another try.

I know that I like my bridge pickups a little louder than the rest, so I don't know if a 59 would be the best... the C5 sounds like a better option. Here's the big question: How will the C5 sound compared to the Super Distortion?

Comment

Woops, I meant the Dimarzio Super Distortion. The one in my bridge now. How does the C5 compare to that - I know it'll have less output, more treble and less mids - how's the bass? And how well does it clean up? And finally, does it have that twangy punchiness that the Dimarzio is giving me now?

Comment

the C5 has real big bass........ and definately sounds real nice clean compared to other pickups wound as hot as it is........

im thinkin you might dig the C5/PG combo man....... that would be killer!
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I have a Custom in my LP and it is the Seymour Duncan pup that is the closest to the Super Distortion in my opinion, in terms of TONE. Not in output.

The DiMarzio SD has a lot more output. If you like the TONE of the Super D, and don't like the high mids, go with a C-5. You can't be wrong. If you want more mids, go with the Custiom.... even more mids? The Custom Custom. I find the latter a little dark in a LP.

Going from the DiMarzio Super Distortion to the SD 59 or PG is a heck of a drop IMO.

I would also suggest the Air Zone from DiMarzio. Excellent fat Paf, less output than the Super D.

And for the Neck, if you want to take advantage of the DiMarzio's exchange policy, the FRED is excellent. A lot clearer and very articulate. Not Paf-like though.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
              Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

It's strange, I have a Custom in my Fender Strat's bridge and it gives me THE tone I'm looking for. It's perfectly suited for that guitar. Even with all those mids.

It leads me to wonder if it's the mids that I find irritating about the SD. I love its tone, but I wish it was a tad lower in output and had tighter bass. It sounds harsh in my Les Paul, I can't really describe how though.

Comment

I think someone mentioned this before. What about the DiMarzio Air Zone in the Les Paul?

Yes it has a good deal of mids, but many people seem to think that the Air Zone has a really fat PAF sound to it. And, it would be covered under that exchange policy too. What other DiMarzio's would fit my taste... maybe the Virtual PAF? Maybe the PAF Pro? Ugh.......

The problem is that getting two more Duncans = more money to spend; I have 2 pickups right now in my Les Paul that I can exchange for almost nothing. And I'm trying to save up for a telecaster!

Comment

I say C-5...very smooth.

The Air Zone could be very bassy in a Les Paul.

I want to know what the scoop is on the Dimarzio Steve's Special.......seems like the right EQ for a Les Paul.

What is the deal with Air buckers though??

Comment

Working...
                    X