Combinations of Bridge/neck pickups.. Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combinations of Bridge/neck pickups.. Help Please

Right, i've done a bit more research... this is a continuation of my previous thread. Have decided to go with Duncan pups as opposed to gibson. I am just agonising over which combination of bridge/neck pickups. As i said earlier I mainly play metal/Doom... bands like ISIS, Converge, Boris, Khanate. I thought of using the following combinations, any advice, knowledge would be welcome. I want chunky, fat warm tone that can do heavy rock --> chugging metal mayhem... so here are those combo ideas.

Bridge + Neck

SH4-JB + SH-2n (this seems fairly popular with metal guitarists, Joey from Life of Agony used it, he had nice tone.)

SH6 Distortion + SH-2n (Though the SH-2n would balance out the harsher tone of the SH6 to give a nicely rounded sound)

SH12b sreamin demom + APH1n - Alnico II Pro (This could sound very full and rounded, or would it be too much?)

SH14 Custom 5 + APH1n - Alnico II Pro (again i though this might be a very full sounding combo, although i do worry if it will have enough crunch for chuggy riffs)

I have not opted for the invader cause i heard it was a bit overly harsh sounding for doom stuff (think sabbath) but maybe if you paired it with a SH-2n? Comments please... i'm really having trouble deciding...

Re: Combinations of Bridge/neck pickups.. Help Please

The JB / Jazz Combo seems to be the most popular combo. And it's Seymours favourite combo too.
    I have JB an I'm really satisfied with it. It seems to be made for fast music. It has nice clarity. Very much harmonics. It's bright and still warm.
    JB is popular everywhere! From punk to metal to blues (?). I don't know anything from the bands you've mentioned.
    Remeber your amp and your guitar are very important too.
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention, my guitar is a Hamer Slammer Series, les paul style with fixed brige, currenly has some duncan design pickups that came in it. They don't even sound half bad....

Comment

Do you know which wood your guitar is made of?
        Maybe the duncan designs are the cheap versions of the SH4/SH2n Combo?
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Sorry i don't know about the wood, its a black Hamer - Slammer series, cost me about 300 pounds, about 400 euros, so it isn't an expensive model or anything. Bought it around 6 years back... Pickups are 2 x humbucker that just say Duncan designed on them. I quite like the sound, but just was think i could improve it with new pups.
          Last edited by matt_tgpg; 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM.

Comment

can you check the model of the pups?
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Anyone got any thoughts on those cominations of neck + brige pickups i posted at the beginning of the thread? Anyone that has used any of those combos in a similar style guitar... let me know.. sorry dude i have no idea on the model of the pickups, i'm guessing i'd have to take em out to find out!

Comment

i think any of the first three combos would work well.
                the jb is a good all around heavy pup
                the distortion is like a jb on steroids
                the demon has really nice crunch
                i think a jazz is a great choice for the neck and the aph could be ok too but might be too smooth

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

Many thanks for the advice, I think i'll probably go with the SH4-JB + SH-2n, maybe subst the SH4 for a disortion or a demon. i'm going to give all the sound samples a good listen...

Would you have any idea what the duncan designed pickups in my mid price Hamer Slammer series would be? I bought it a good 6 years ago! I just want to be convinced i will get a noticable improvement. Cuase i don't hate my sound, i just feel it could be better.

Comment

Of the ones I have experience......I'd say the JB because it can be thick and warm in the right guitar and still does the tight metal thing well.
                    iI liked the C-5 but it is more open and airy lending itself to more vintage tones in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X