banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Duncan similar to the Dragon II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a Duncan similar to the Dragon II?

DII more versitile than the DI by the way. Look at the DI as more Rock Fusion, and the DII as a tweaked High output PAFish pup.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Wow, I like your explanation of the DII's tone compared to the Custom. Sound slike a toss up! It is my nature to tweak so I think I still need to fid a Custom to try in my LP and then a D II but I'd need the set because they would be out of phase. I like what you say about it being like a JB with more lows. I use a Rio BBQ at the moment and it has HUGE low end and round lows.
      It would be nice to find a pickup that has as much character and thickness of the BBQ but a touch more clarity and tightness to my ears. At the moment I am pretty happy with it. Which has more output? Custom or D II? JB?

I have a friend who uses the CU22 with D IIs for heavy modern styles and has no issues with low end at all and get great tone.

You can check out this link for tunes they had recorded with thise guitar along with the singer's LP. www.jadedfaith.com

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        Wow, I like your explanation of the DII's tone compared to the Custom. Sound slike a toss up! It is my nature to tweak so I think I still need to fid a Custom to try in my LP and then a D II but I'd need the set because they would be out of phase. I like what you say about it being like a JB with more lows. I use a Rio BBQ at the moment and it has HUGE low end and round lows.
        It would be nice to find a pickup that has as much character and thickness of the BBQ but a touch more clarity and tightness to my ears. At the moment I am pretty happy with it. Which has more output? Custom or D II? JB?

I have a friend who uses the CU22 with D IIs for heavy modern styles and has no issues with low end at all and get great tone.

You can check out this link for tunes they had recorded with thise guitar along with the singer's LP. www.jadedfaith.com
        I'll check out thee link from home. Output seems on par with the JB and Custom, I put those together as really close in output.

You can actually flip the Magnet in an uncovered pickup ( switch polarity ) or a covered one by removing, and reinstalling the cover. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Neck DII is pretty sexy sounding though.

Rio BBQ is supposed to be Killer, though I haven't tried one. Ariel Pozzo a guitarist from Argentina I think? Uses them in his driskill and has such amazing tone. Check him out at www.aspenrecords.com
        Playing:

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues
          Interesting. Never compared next to each other. or in the same guitar, but I'll give it a shot.

I believe the Custom will have a bigger low end push, but the high and mids are a bit sweeter on the the DII. Still has good lows, but I almost want to compare the DII bridge to a JB. Kind of a sweet JB with a touch more low, and a bit more "roundness" to the top. Hope that makes sense?

The neck, is a bit like a A2 Pro. Probably why I like it so much. Fairly close with more Chime to it. Both neck and bridge split wonderfully, and I think the DII sounds better clean than the JB and Custom.

Compared to a Dragon I different beast. That's a much heavier sounding pickup than the DII. More full, split the diff between a custom and a custom custom and you're in the ball park.

FYI Carlos Santana uses a DII with vintage hoolup wire in the bridge of his orange and blue Studio/road guitars now.

I have used PRS DII's. HFS/VB and Artist pups, and have played McCarty's and DI's as well. My Fav PRS pup is the DII by far. My Fav Duncan set up has always been the Custom/Alnico II or 59/alnico II But have owned loads of differnet duncans. Never been a Dimarzio fan.

To get an Idea of what I like for tone, David Grissom on any of the Storyville CD's is about the perfect tone for me.

Hope this is helpful, I'm happy to have a conversation if you like. Email me.
          Actually your description of the D II in comparison to the JB sounds a lot like the Duncan C-5.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
            Actually your description of the D II in comparison to the JB sounds a lot like the Duncan C-5.
            Really? I have never tried a C5.

The DII's I just picked up, the guy removed for a 59/C5 he liked more. All mahogany PRS.
            Playing:

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues
              Really? I have never tried a C5.

The DII's I just picked up, the guy removed for a 59/C5 he liked more. All mahogany PRS.
              Interesting. I think the C-5 does vintage tones the best. I am looking to grab a Duncan Custom and a PRS Dragon I to test in my LP.

Comment

Working...
              X