X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH5150
    replied
    Re: Rio Grande BBQ?

I loved the BBQ until I tried the Gibson Angus Pickup.....The BBQ just didn't give me that high end sparkle that I was looking for. I noticed this when I used it after using my other guitar which I had just installed an Angus in and the solos just didn't cut and my leads and even my rhythms just sounded dull. I loved it up until this point. The Angus Pickup just has more bite and growl as where the BBQ has more roar if that makes sense. Its a great rhythm pickup especially as for doing the above mentioned styles such as AC/DC and ZZ Top. I guess the BBQ would be closer to Malcolm Young's tone as opposed to Angus'. Basically the BBQ's tone is very dark.

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    replied

Thanks guys, that really helps me out. It sounds like I should give it a try before I cough up the money for a custom shop order. I've pretty much sworn off high output pickups, but it sounds like this one may be just what I'm looking for...more output than a PAF, but without the overly compressed high gain sound you get with a high output pickup.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• superpete
    replied

Originally posted by rspst14
    I've never really liked high output pickups, but I would like a medium output pickup with a nice crunch that can handle AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc.

Ryan
    Sounds you want a BBQ. Everytime I think of how to descibe the tone AC/DC and ZZ Top are the 1st things I think of. I'm sure there are plenty of other pickups that'll get you where you want to be, but the BBQ just has a crunch and thickness I can't get enough of.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

I believe the BBQ is about 12.5k but that doesn't tell the whole story.
    I find it very throaty and growling which is right up my alley. It sound big and fat in my LP, not to mention super thick. It is extremely sensitive to height adjustment and pole piece adjustment and a lot can be done in this area to add clarity. Some might find it too thick but my LP is deep and lively so it is a nice thick mix. I find the bass fatter and rounder than that of the C-5 with much thicker midrange and to my ears a tad less high end. I find a lot of modern and high gain amps to be bright so it's a nice combination. I think it does classic rock to hard rock and even metal well. A lot more of that will depend on the guitar and amp. To me it is a JB with more bass and lower mids. It doesn't do well in my Dean Evo Premium because that is a dark guitar and not nearly as lively and resonant as my Paul. Some guys find the lack of high end to be dull or muddy but I think asuming you adjust the amp and p'up correctly, you'll be fine. That said, I am still going to try a PRS Dragon II and Duncan Custom and report back.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

im pretty sure its between 10 and 12k

Leave a comment:

• Metalman_666
    replied

Although I've heard things about the BBQ but never tried one myself, I hear that it IS great for rock, b/c it has the tone that's being popularized... lows, and low-mids, not too much treble. So go for it if you want a fat sounding pup with lots of crunch

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    replied

Thanks for the information. Has anyone gotten an actual resistance measurement on one of these? I was looking at the reviews on Harmony Central, and the perceived output levels ranged from slightly overwound PAF to super high output. I've never really liked high output pickups, but I would like a medium output pickup with a nice crunch that can handle AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• superpete
    replied

I put the BBQ in the bridge of an Agile SG and I think it sounds great. Very AC/DC like. I hear it measures about 12K, and that seems about right to my ears. Now you say you don't want too much treble, well the good news is the BBQ has very little, and has very strong lower mids. My friend remarked how it had a lot of crunch but not any shrillness, which is true. I really dig it, but I could see how one could find it muddy. Not the best for metal, but for a hard rock, ac/dc tone, its great

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    started a topic Rio Grande BBQ?

Rio Grande BBQ?

Hey guys, has anyone tried one of these? All of the reviews I've read have been pretty positive, and I'm thinking of putting one in the bridge of a Hamer Studio. What is the output level of these pickups, does anyone have a resistance measurement? I'm looking for a bridge pickup that has a nice low end and midrange, without having too much treble. I thought about getting a standard-spaced, standard polepiece version of the Blues Trembucker from the custom shop, but I want to consider some other options too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
Working...
X