Rio Grande BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rio Grande BBQ?

I got my BBQ in a trade from Barlo....he even told me it was a dark sounding pickup...I liked it at first but after playing it in a live setting and comparing it the Angus humbucker....I wondered what made me like it so much to start with. I think the Angus pickup is one of the best kept secrets, people get scared off by its name but this pickup really sparkles and sounds very vintage Les Paul with more umph. It overdrives a Marshall Tube great and doesn't lose its shape or clarity. It doesn't have the bottom end that a BBQ does but you can hear the strings with it and the sound just has more sustain. It has great bottom end to it but not to the point where it loses form and gets muddy. Listen to in any AC/DC album but it isn't a one trick pony either...its great for Zeppelin and ZZ Top etc also....its an overwound 70's sound. The two pickups that Duncan has that are closest to it are the Screamin Demon and the Pearly Gates Plus. It has more bottom than the Demon and and more muscle than the Plus. It is basically a hot rodded vintage pickup much the same as the Custom, Custom 5 and the Custom Custom are. But again sound is a matter of personal taste so what sounds good to me might not be the sound you are looking for. I also agree with what Lew said about the 59 in that it will get you that same sound but you let your amp do the overdriving instead of the pickup itself. If you want an Angus, one just went off bid without the reserve being met with the high bid being $59. You could probably throw an offer of about $65 at the guy and get it. I wish I would have know two weeks ago you wanted a BBQ because I just sold mine on Ebay last week.

Comment

Whats the DC resistances on the Angus PUs?
      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

What is the street/retail price of the BBQ Bucker bridge in nickel and where can you buy them? My mainstay is the C-5, but I hear so much about the BBQ that I'm willing to throw it in one of my LP's and check it out.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
          Whats the DC resistances on the Angus PUs?
          If my memory serves me right it's like 10K, an overwound a5(?) PAF.

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            What is the street/retail price of the BBQ Bucker bridge in nickel and where can you buy them? My mainstay is the C-5, but I hear so much about the BBQ that I'm willing to throw it in one of my LP's and check it out.

$87.50 in nickel, $75.50 uncovered from gtrheaven.com
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

so my friends guitar now has 2 neck pickups and no bridge pickup
              thats exactly what i dont like about it. i like having a bridge pup and also the tones of the two mixed. i can see how it works for some people but too 2d for me

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                thats exactly what i dont like about it. i like having a bridge pup and also the tones of the two mixed. i can see how it works for some people but too 2d for me
                yeah i agree and thank god companies are offering calibrated sets.
                my neck tone is NOTHING like what i want in my bridge tone so for me using two alike pups is out of the question

Comment

B,

10k makes for a rude #42 pickup. I see why you use a 8.7 with a 7.6
                  Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

B,

10k makes for a rude #42 pickup. I see why you use a 8.7 with a 7.6
                    Exactly, I need the sparkle of the bridge and deep throaty tone of the neck. Then the mid position that I use a lot sounds great. For a thick creamy bridge tone, then what I do is to use the mid position, with bridge vol/tone at 10, and neck vol 'round 8 and neck tone 'round 5. Instant replication of Warren Hayes' tone in Maybe I am a Leo from Gov't Mule Deep End vol1. At least that's what's happening with my setup.

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                    X