dr.barlo
    Mojo's Minions

• dr.barlo
    replied
    Re: Rio Grande BBQ?

Originally posted by Lightning
    B,

10k makes for a rude #42 pickup. I see why you use a 8.7 with a 7.6
    Exactly, I need the sparkle of the bridge and deep throaty tone of the neck. Then the mid position that I use a lot sounds great. For a thick creamy bridge tone, then what I do is to use the mid position, with bridge vol/tone at 10, and neck vol 'round 8 and neck tone 'round 5. Instant replication of Warren Hayes' tone in Maybe I am a Leo from Gov't Mule Deep End vol1. At least that's what's happening with my setup.

B

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    Tone Member

• Lightning
    replied

B,

10k makes for a rude #42 pickup. I see why you use a 8.7 with a 7.6

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    Toneologist

• RG 2570
    replied

Originally posted by jeremy
    thats exactly what i dont like about it. i like having a bridge pup and also the tones of the two mixed. i can see how it works for some people but too 2d for me
    yeah i agree and thank god companies are offering calibrated sets.
    my neck tone is NOTHING like what i want in my bridge tone so for me using two alike pups is out of the question

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    LoveMachineologist

• jeremy
    replied

so my friends guitar now has 2 neck pickups and no bridge pickup
    thats exactly what i dont like about it. i like having a bridge pup and also the tones of the two mixed. i can see how it works for some people but too 2d for me

Leave a comment:

• superpete
    Toneologist

• superpete
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    What is the street/retail price of the BBQ Bucker bridge in nickel and where can you buy them? My mainstay is the C-5, but I hear so much about the BBQ that I'm willing to throw it in one of my LP's and check it out.

$87.50 in nickel, $75.50 uncovered from gtrheaven.com

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    Mojo's Minions

• dr.barlo
    replied

Whats the DC resistances on the Angus PUs?
    If my memory serves me right it's like 10K, an overwound a5(?) PAF.

B

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    Gear Ho

• Gearjoneser
    replied

What is the street/retail price of the BBQ Bucker bridge in nickel and where can you buy them? My mainstay is the C-5, but I hear so much about the BBQ that I'm willing to throw it in one of my LP's and check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    Tone Member

• Lightning
    replied

Whats the DC resistances on the Angus PUs?

Leave a comment:

• EVH5150

• EVH5150
    replied

I got my BBQ in a trade from Barlo....he even told me it was a dark sounding pickup...I liked it at first but after playing it in a live setting and comparing it the Angus humbucker....I wondered what made me like it so much to start with. I think the Angus pickup is one of the best kept secrets, people get scared off by its name but this pickup really sparkles and sounds very vintage Les Paul with more umph. It overdrives a Marshall Tube great and doesn't lose its shape or clarity. It doesn't have the bottom end that a BBQ does but you can hear the strings with it and the sound just has more sustain. It has great bottom end to it but not to the point where it loses form and gets muddy. Listen to in any AC/DC album but it isn't a one trick pony either...its great for Zeppelin and ZZ Top etc also....its an overwound 70's sound. The two pickups that Duncan has that are closest to it are the Screamin Demon and the Pearly Gates Plus. It has more bottom than the Demon and and more muscle than the Plus. It is basically a hot rodded vintage pickup much the same as the Custom, Custom 5 and the Custom Custom are. But again sound is a matter of personal taste so what sounds good to me might not be the sound you are looking for. I also agree with what Lew said about the 59 in that it will get you that same sound but you let your amp do the overdriving instead of the pickup itself. If you want an Angus, one just went off bid without the reserve being met with the high bid being $59. You could probably throw an offer of about $65 at the guy and get it. I wish I would have know two weeks ago you wanted a BBQ because I just sold mine on Ebay last week.

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    Tone Member

• Lightning
    replied

I installed an Iommi for a friend in a LP Classic…16.68k and by the tone of it I suspect #43. You can't even compare the Angus to that. Iommi sounds like Duane's 335 neck pickup on Mountain Jam (like a 8.2 #42 neck with a a2 in a 335 tone rolled off) but it's in the bridge position so my friends guitar now has 2 neck pickups and no bridge pickup and he likes it. In fact he likes it a lot...just never uses the neck PU.

Leave a comment:

• AmpliFIRE
    Ultimate Tone Member

• AmpliFIRE
    replied

Originally posted by papersoul
    I believe the BBQ is about 12.5k but that doesn't tell the whole story.
    I find it very throaty and growling which is right up my alley. It sound big and fat in my LP, not to mention super thick. It is extremely sensitive to height adjustment and pole piece adjustment and a lot can be done in this area to add clarity. Some might find it too thick but my LP is deep and lively so it is a nice thick mix. I find the bass fatter and rounder than that of the C-5 with much thicker midrange and to my ears a tad less high end. I find a lot of modern and high gain amps to be bright so it's a nice combination. I think it does classic rock to hard rock and even metal well. A lot more of that will depend on the guitar and amp. To me it is a JB with more bass and lower mids. It doesn't do well in my Dean Evo Premium because that is a dark guitar and not nearly as lively and resonant as my Paul. Some guys find the lack of high end to be dull or muddy but I think asuming you adjust the amp and p'up correctly, you'll be fine. That said, I am still going to try a PRS Dragon II and Duncan Custom and report back.

+1

I have a BBQ in my LP Std as well as my Axis. The pickup sounds AMAZING in both guitars. It tames the highs nicely in my Axis and sounds thick and creamy in my LP. This is the best bridge pup that I've tried to date.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    Guest replied

If you're looking for the tone of those early 60's Gibson SG's why not go with the alnico 5 59B? It's very close to the original pickups used on those old AC/DC and Black Sabbath recordings.

If you want those old sounds, why concern yourself with the brand new pickups Gibson is making? They were used to make those old records...alnico 5 Gibson patent number humbuckers were and the Duncan 59 gets those sounds.

Lew

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    Tone Cat

• rspst14
    replied

Yeah, a lot of the reviews I read of the Angus pickup said that it was too hot, too bright and harsh, and lacking bass. I thought about trying one at first, but the reviews kind of swayed me away from it. The reviews on the BBQ are very positive, and it sounds more like what I'm after. I need something with medium output, a nice bass response, nice midrange, and softer highs. I really love the Duncan Blues Trembucker, which is why I thought of having the custom shop make me a standard-spaced, standard polepiece version with a cover. It has a very even EQ, and it really lets the natural tone of the guitar come through. I haven't contacted the custom shop yet, but I figure I'm probably looking at $140-$160 or so to get something like that made. Maybe I'll try to find a used BBQ on Ebay before I drop that kind of cash on a custom shop pickup.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    Mojo's Minions

• papersoul
    replied

Originally posted by EVH5150
    I loved the BBQ until I tried the Gibson Angus Pickup.....The BBQ just didn't give me that high end sparkle that I was looking for. I noticed this when I used it after using my other guitar which I had just installed an Angus in and the solos just didn't cut and my leads and even my rhythms just sounded dull. I loved it up until this point. The Angus Pickup just has more bite and growl as where the BBQ has more roar if that makes sense. Its a great rhythm pickup especially as for doing the above mentioned styles such as AC/DC and ZZ Top. I guess the BBQ would be closer to Malcolm Young's tone as opposed to Angus'. Basically the BBQ's tone is very dark.
    I would love to try the Angus and I hear it is great, but I was scared off by a guywho reviewed the Gibson Iommi pickup saying the Angus was too bright and harsh. How is the bass and thickness of the Angus?

I need to try the Duncan Custom, Pearly Gates, and Angus.

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    Mojo's Minions

• dr.barlo
    replied

Originally posted by EVH5150
    I loved the BBQ until I tried the Gibson Angus Pickup.....The BBQ just didn't give me that high end sparkle that I was looking for. I noticed this when I used it after using my other guitar which I had just installed an Angus in and the solos just didn't cut and my leads and even my rhythms just sounded dull. I loved it up until this point. The Angus Pickup just has more bite and growl as where the BBQ has more roar if that makes sense. Its a great rhythm pickup especially as for doing the above mentioned styles such as AC/DC and ZZ Top. I guess the BBQ would be closer to Malcolm Young's tone as opposed to Angus'. Basically the BBQ's tone is very dark.
    Word! In fact that particular BBQ you have was loved first but then due to the very same reasons (my comparison was against a 8.75PG+ and 8.70 antiquity with an a5) was not that favored anymore! It is somewhat sad, don't you think?

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X